• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Has anyone actually figured out the rough idle?

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
My 92 3.0l basically just sounds like its got a cam in it all the time! When its first started up in the morning it doesn't really like to stay running, ESPECIALLY if its below 50 degrees outside. It'll also surge from 1500rpm to 600rpm when I come to the stop sign a couple miles from my house. Once its warm it'll stay running and won't surge, but it still has that lumpy idle.

So far I've put in motorcraft plugs (it got a cap and rotor within the last 40k), a new coolant temperature sensor, swapped the MAF with a smooth idling truck, cleaned all the intake sensors I could find, but it still does the same thing.

Really other than the idle the truck runs like a champ and hasn't thrown any check engine lights *knock on wood*..Its been doing it since my friend bought it with 94k miles, its got 142k now.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
id check out your TPS and IAT sensors.

there are two coolant temperature sensors, you replaced the one for the computer, right?

cargs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
what about your coil? i had a problem with hard starting in the morning it was the coil.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
id check out your TPS and IAT sensors.

there are two coolant temperature sensors, you replaced the one for the computer, right?
ahh forgot about the TPS, that was the FIRST thing I replaced. I replaced the coolant temp sensor on the top of the engine near the thermostat..wheres the other one?

what about your coil? i had a problem with hard starting in the morning it was the coil.
I can try that.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
When you say rough, do you mean like sitting at lights it stumbles and it makes ya look to make sure it didn't shut off.

I noticed that on Heather's Ranger. Weird

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
When you say rough, do you mean like sitting at lights it stumbles and it makes ya look to make sure it didn't shut off.

I noticed that on Heather's Ranger. Weird
nah its not quite that bad. Just real lumpy. My old aerostar WOULD stall if you didn't hold the throttle open a little, that was fun.

Southern3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, what a turd...
Transmission
Manual
Thats almost exactly how my old '91 would run, even after I swapped all the sensors, coil and a few other parts except for the Maf and 02's off a perfectly good running Taurus (Trans was bad). Never figured out what was up w/ it, but other then the idle the truck ran great so I never really worried about it

therangerofdanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
if you have access to a scan tool look at EGR flow even though that should set the MIL but it is OBDI if that were the prob. to much EGR flow gives you exuast flow at idle when the EGR should only allow flow at crusing. doing this will give you a rough idle. if it is at 10% that should cause an idle problem anything higher should stall the engine. also check you IAC (idle air control) that is a good possibly to your idle problem. if there is to much "grime" could clog up the pintle and seat in your IAC valve. check those if you haven't figured it out. they are alittle cheaper than a coil pack and other things.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
if you have access to a scan tool look at EGR flow even though that should set the MIL but it is OBDI if that were the prob. to much EGR flow gives you exuast flow at idle when the EGR should only allow flow at crusing. doing this will give you a rough idle. if it is at 10% that should cause an idle problem anything higher should stall the engine. also check you IAC (idle air control) that is a good possibly to your idle problem. if there is to much "grime" could clog up the pintle and seat in your IAC valve. check those if you haven't figured it out. they are alittle cheaper than a coil pack and other things.
EGR delete option :D Old 3.0s are also distributor engines. I'll try cleaning my IAC, thats about the only thing I haven't tried. If its not that I give up because I'm not buying a IAC, too much $$.

joemohio

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Same problem here. 93 3.0 4x4 5 spd. on cold start ups it will run so rough that I will turn it off because it makes no sense fighting it . If I turn it off and fire it right back up its fine. I Have still have the lumpy idle when it warms up though. Another good one is if I stall it in the morning, (half a sleep clutch foot) Then try to start it up I have to hold the gas to the floor or it wont start. Acts like its flooded.
Now I dont know how true this is but I believe there is a ford update (recalibration)for the engine computer that takes care of this issue. I have been meaning to take it in to have that done but havent made it there.
Any one heard of this recalibration for this issue?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
you cannot recalibrate eec-iv. ive driven several rangers (mine included) that have had the cold startup after stalling issue. holding the gas pedal to the floor while cranking signals the computer to cut injector pulse to zero....so if this helps for you, then the truck is definately running rich.

ReD-rAnGeR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 v6 182ci
Transmission
Manual
what about fuel injectors?
my 98 has a rough idle after new plugs and wires

creepinjeepster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 and 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
90-2.9 and 91-3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Mine was doing this. Ended up changing the FPR and got a IAC off a newer model 3.0 from the JY. (Had to cut the harness for it too and swap). Been idling fine ever since.

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
mine has the same problem with the cold stall if i get lazy when taking off. i have to pedal down to get it started. something simple i havent heard anyone mention is the hole in the throttle plate, make sure its clean and un restricted because thats where the air goes into the intake at idle.

ReD-rAnGeR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 v6 182ci
Transmission
Manual
i had the same problem. i replaced plugs, wires, and the iac today. idles better but it still stumbles at regular idle after it is warmed up

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals