• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Just a clueless person asking about the PAD Switch (airbag code 25)

ChaCha

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hey y'all!

I need to preface everything by saying that I know next to nothing about cars or trucks, much less how to fix them. The only thing I'm smart enough to do is realize that and ask people who know what they're talking about, so hopefully I can find that here :)

I drive a 1998 Ford Ranger, automatic transmission. I'm a bit of a city slicker, so to be completely honest I don't know much more about it other than it's white haha

Anyway, my issue is with my airbag. The airbag light on my dashboard started going off, and I did enough research to learn the code and what it entailed. The airbag light code is 25, which I learned meant that there was an issue with the PAD switch. Of the limited examples I found online, a few people have found that their bulb had burned out, which I don't think is the case, but I'm more than willing to be proven wrong.

Right now with the current PAD switch, the light is on to indicate that the passenger airbag is disengaged whether I turn the keyhole to on or off.

My first impulse was to just buy an entirely new part and try to replace the thing, but I wanted to ask around first to make sure that I had exhausted all of my options.

I hope that covers all the necessary information! Please be gracious as I really have no idea what I am doing, and feel free to dumb down any answers into layman's terms for my sake haha

Thanks so much!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

There is a thread here on testing PAD switch, if you are so inclined: http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21007

If not then yes replacing PAD switch would most likely solve the problem showing code 25

One heads up on Vehicle "codes"
Also look at the codes the system did NOT use, these are not "smart" systems, they "pick a code" based on binary feedback, on/off, so the codes it does NOT use will narrow down possible problems
This applies to engine codes as well

So don't google: airbag code 25
Google: Ford Ranger air bag code list
Get the whole list

Same for engine codes

Last edited:

ChaCha

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you so much! That helps me out a lot. Like you said, I'll probably replace the switch and see if that solves it. If not, I suppose I'll end up back here haha
Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals