• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Where to turn

MrFixIt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys I have a 94 ranger 2.3 8 plug and I was wondering where I could get a decent tuner. I've been looking all over it seems and cant decide, I really just wanna boost fuel economy more on longer trips, but I do like those hp gains. I guess what I'm asking is what programmer would be beat for my truck?

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Need more air going through it for it to make more power and a tuner doesn't provide more air. The fuel injection system already on the truck can measure additional air and correct for it so I would go that route with it.

I have tuners on 2 types of vehicles. One is a direct-injected turbo car that can make use of additional fuel through the turbo. The other is a motorcycle that uses a simple look-up table (no air measuring sensor) and uses a wide-band 02 sensor, tachometer and throttle position sensor to hold the mixture at a selected A/F at each given rpm/throttle setting. Your engine can't benefit from either of those scenarios. The tuner would be a waste of money. Installing a header and free-flowing exhaust would be a much more effective use of money, and your engine will automatically adjust to use that benefit.

If you want to add something, I like to install a Scanguage. Once you figure out how to program it, it will tell you secret stuff that is going on with your fuel injection, real-time as you drive.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
actually on the 2.3L short of porting the intake manifold, head work and camshaft the exhaust won't do much as the 2.3L's are known for a nice exhaust manifold or header from the factory, all the restriction is at the head mainly on the intake side.

That said, I'm with what Will said, modest foot control on the throttle, a healthy engine and components will get you way more than a tuner. You have to be able to let the air in and flow it freely to get both power and efficiency. To some extent an engine capable of high power can be very efficient (camshafts with overlap and some other extreme power thing aside), which is why most engines have much more power than they used to and are also smaller than ever...

MrFixIt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I took the intake noise damper out, idk how much that does but it has a drop in k&n. So I need head work? Ballpark about how much that would be and what would the safest limit to bore the intake/exhaust knowing that both are different sizes?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
A scangauge won't go real far on an OBDI vehicle, so there's that. The computer has all the data it gives available, just the hookups are wrong.

As for costs, those are hard to estimate as the machine shop rates are going to vary wildly by location. Try calling a local machine shop and ask for some numbers.

As for how far can you go, you should be safe with port-matching, which is all the bigger you can go and still have something to gain. If you make your intake ports on the head bigger than the ones on the intake now the intake manifold is the restriction, and it is hard to make that bigger.

MrFixIt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thank you

Ok thank you everyone, I really appreciate. The more I learn the more fun I can have, ya know. :D:headbang:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals