• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Electric Fan Install

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
a couple decades ago when I was employed by EDS I spent a lot of time in GM plants. that includes several months in the North American Truck Products headquarters with lots of engineers around. I'm far from an expert, but have a good idea of what makes things go 'round.

I retired 2 years ago, the 15' rule is good with me too.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
one last point to ponder, preferable over a few beers.

on the engine masters test where they used the gigantic steel fan and "lost" 30 hp :

what would happen if the dyno was on rollers?? would the "propeller" accelerate the thing across the room utilizing the "lost" 30 hp ?

one could stretch the issue a bit by saying the problem isn't loosing power at the crank, but rather failing to utilize the power that was transferred to the fan. I guess that's the trade-off of a compact, crowded, and efficient engine compartment, it totally screws with recouping all that free power from the fan. :icon_rofl:

Bobby, Great Lakes over in Dundee is one of my regular stops. If you bump into me there I'll buy the beer. (hope you like the cheap stuff):D

Perry

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thought I'd post my "from new" average graphed MPG numbers as an illustration of eFan change to MPG.

Capture1.JPG

As you can see the new engine slowly gained MPGs as it was broken in. It then started a gradual decline for several years until I installed the eFan. You can see the sudden change. The engine is operating warmer than with the clutch fan, so I don't know how much, if any, the warmer operating temps contributed to the better MPGs.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Heat is a factor.

Put a brand new clutch and fan on it. Because age is as well.

Toledo, its not a stretch, its simply a waste of energy.

I recently got to look under the hood of a prototype with no belt driven accessories.

Fullsize hybrid 4wd. Gear driven water pump....akt start converter between engine and trans....electric ac and power steering and cooling fans. Roof was a solar panel as well.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals