• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

V8 Swap In New York State, OBD2 and Inspection questions... HELPPP!!!!!!!!!

RedRange

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey everyone, so i have some questions/concerns and issues. Im looking at a 98 Ranger in my area that came from down south, its got a 302 form a 2000 Mountaineer swapped in, the guy wants 3000 for the truck and i really want to buy it. The truck is great but it has no cats so it wont pass inspection in New York. I can put cats on it and hook up the O2 sensors and get the check engine light to turn off (i dont really want to put cats under it). But a mechanic friend told me that this still will not get the truck to pass inspection because it has the ECU from the mountaineer (obviously). According to him the Diagnostics equipment has to see a VIN # on the ECU that matches that of the truck in order for it to pass inspection. From what he told me it will basicly confuse the hell out of the equipment and therefore it will not pass the truck. Is there any way i can get this truck inspected in this miserable state???????:annoyed:
PLEASSEEEEEE ADVISE!!!!:icon_confused:

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know of several out in New York running about the same combonation. STranger used to be on here a lot, first one to do the late model swap with the Explorer. Hope those out there jump in, not at all familiar with the rules/regulations out there but it's being done.
Dave

mouse1977

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
well the only thang i can thank of is to put Blackcat's on it...that well still give ya the profomance power and get you throw tech.. on the ECU i real don't know... i don't see a issue with that..but don't know.. Iam just thanking if you had to go buy a NEW one for the auto parts store it would not mash up ether (to VIN # and all) but i real can't help ya there hope one of the other guy's here can.... but look in to a set of blackcat cats... kind of like a mustang set.. there all kind of profomance cat out there...GL

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals