• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Will 2001 Auto w/ 4.0 drop into a 2002 also 4.0?

engine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
245 75 R16
The 2002 has a transmission that won't back up. Have located a good 2001. Both are behind a 4.0. Is this a drop in?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, both are 5R55E transmissions and both will have 4.0l bell housings, so plug and play

If you have never installed an automatic you MUST install torque converter inside the bell housing and slide it in all the way while TURNING IT, it will slide in 2 or 3 times as you push in and turn it, it is seating on/in the main pump and input shaft.
Failure to do this will RUIN the transmission, full rebuild required.
And MAKE SURE torque converter doesn't slide out as you get trans into place, if it does repeat the turning and pushing to get it seated inside the transmission again.

Torque converter should NOT touch the flexplate when trans is bolted to engine, you should have to slide it forward 1/8-1/4" to bolt it to flexplate

Don't use the broken transmissions torque converter, it could have metal filing inside that will be transferred to other transmission.
Also blow out as much fluid from trans cooler and lines as possible for the same reason

Last edited:

engine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
245 75 R16
Thank you. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I'm almost certain both are 4WD. Almost everything around here is.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, it doesn't matter

The 4WD 4.0l SOHC did have a balancer shaft added inside the engine to off-set possible harmonic vibrations when Ranger 4WDs got Live Axle front ends in 2001.
But past swaps have reported that 2WD 4.0l in a 4WD or visa versa, didn't show any vibration issues.

engine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
245 75 R16
Almost a plug and play. The 2001 was an Explorer and appears to have one less sensor than the 2002 Ranger. All seems to work except that the O/D light blinks all the time although the O/D is working just fine. The receptacle is there but it is not tapped. Question: will tapping the receptacle to receive the sensor fix this?

engine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
245 75 R16
Thank you much. Reading this I think I will forget the sensor since the hole is not threaded and I presume this "new" trans lacks the sun shell with the windows used to trigger the sensor. Trans goes through all the gears satisfactorily.

Any idea why the O/D Off light blinks continuously and how to fix it? O/D responds to the button appropriately but does not affect the light.

Transman304

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler PT
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem
The transmission has a trouble code stored is why the light is flashing. Going to be related to not seeing the ISS input. I don’t know a way around that without the sensor being operational. Are you sure you are getting overdrive and converter Lock up? What RPMs are you getting at highway speed?

engine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
245 75 R16
I'm conscious of RPMs and speed. This truck has a 4.10 rear end and I'm satisfied with the 2000 RPM over 50 mph. I watch the RPM needle and the mph and they all match what I expect. I've had lots of cars with tachs and I am satisfied that all gears are working. For example, 4th gear at 2000 gets 40 mph which is the same as a Rover Vitesse I had in England got in top gear.

Converter lockup I am less sure about. RPM and mph seem to track well on acceleration. I'm looking for a workaround, I guess because I don't want to do anything big from here.

Last edited:

engine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
245 75 R16
My workaround is this. I'll put a 400 ohm resistor across the sensor leads for the sensor that has no place to go to give the PCM something to look at. This is in the middle of the range it expects. Currently the trans satisfies me with its shifts with no input. I just would like to have the O/D off light working.

engine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
245 75 R16
Workaround did not work

Just to close this out, putting 400 ohms across the leads of the "extra" sensor did not change anything. The computer still sees it not working right, I guess.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals