• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cab mount bushings - bolt out, nut, bushing & washer spin?

Fairlaniac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
LF cab mount is where I'm at. Got the bolt out but the nut, washer and bottom bushing spin. Through the cab floor hole I took a punch and tried to beat out the nut and washer but nothing moves?

First, any diagram of what is all in there? I assume some sort of sleeve? Second, how do I separate this to install my new bushings? Short of taking a sawzall through it? What to do?

Thanks,

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Here's a diagram.

When I did mine, I had to cut all of them off with a sawzall; the sleeves were rusted solid.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Mine required a pry bar to remove.

Fairlaniac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Here's a diagram.

When I did mine, I had to cut all of them off with a sawzall; the sleeves were rusted solid.

Very much appreciated. Thank you.

Fairlaniac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Interesting? this post got moved to the "Styling & Electrical" forum. Can anyone help me on where to hook up the 12V power lead to the cab bushing?

Thanks!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Interesting? this post got moved to the "Styling & Electrical" forum. Can anyone help me on where to hook up the 12V power lead to the cab bushing?

Thanks!
It's wireless electricity.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Body is the ground, find the green/yellow wire behind the radio and jumper off that... should fix you right up when the headlights are on.

In all seriousness, the body mounts will probably only come apart with a sawzall. There is an inner "sleeve" thing that gets mushroomed out when the bolts are tightened down, which keeps the bushing in place. I'm not sure it's even possible to get them apart intact.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Yeah the bushing sleeves are flared (wedged) together at the factory probably so they stay in place on the frame while the truck moves down the assembly line. This would make it so all a worker needs to do is be sure the body is lined up when plopping it down onto the frame, then put some bolts in to secure it (rather than try to assemble each bushing right there on the spot).
The flare is part of the lower sleeve and grabs right where the step in diameter is on the upper sleeve (visible on parts 9 & 16 on the diagram BlackBII posted).

I did the bushings on my '94 when the truck was only a couple years old (seems the rearmost ones were defective-- the rubber was too soft and they disintegrated from the inside-out). Couldn't get anywhere with two dealers I went to (they claimed my use of the truck off road caused the issue-- which was BS), so I ended up replacing them myself with aftermarket urethane ones. Even on a 2-yo So Cal truck it wasn't easy. I had to use a Dremel to grind away enough of the flare to weaken it so that I could then hammer the lower sleeve out.

As for the forum, this Q pertains to the truck's exterior, so that is probably why it was moved to the Exterior section of the forum (I would agree the (parent) forum name here is a bit confusing).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals