• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

T5 into 96 4cyl ranger??

stackz

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I tried searching but T5 is too short a term and the tech articles only mention it for v6 trucks...

truck is bone stock and the tranny took a dump. havent had any luck finding one and I do have 5 4cyl mustang T5's as well as a bellhousing/fork setup and flywheel/clutch setup I could use.

even have a driveshaft yolk too.

aside from maybe having a different shifter position on the floor and possibly backup sensor problems...what else would be bad with trying to do this to get the truck back on the road cheaply??

ghost_rader

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
are your trans's hydrolic or cable. i think most of the mustangs are cable and your truck is hydrolic. i think the length on the trans is different also. i haven't done this swap so im not 100%

im sure someone would swap you a stock trans for a t5 if it ends up being alot of work to do.

good luck

ttfiveohranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 v8 Twin Turbo
Transmission
Manual
tbird

I thought the thunderbird turbo coupe T5's were hydraulic... would be a good time to get all the turbo stuff as well off the car..

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have an '84 turbo coupe t5. It is cable.
They do make aftermarket slave cylinders for t5s so it is possible. I think that it would be more trouble and expense then it would be worth though. The M5OD R1 is a good trans, It can easily handle the torque of the 4cyl, there is a hurst shifter available for it, and it bolts in.

ttfiveohranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 v8 Twin Turbo
Transmission
Manual
The T5's shift soooo much better is not even funny.. The M5's have taken a beating and came stock so easy to work with them. I have a girling(spelling) slave cylinder,a some steel plate/angles, and a rod actuating my mustang t5 in my 5.0 ranger.. so it can be done.. Found a SS braid hose with adapter instead of the plastic stock line. I don't remember part numbers but I could take some pictures of the setup if you want me too.. it looks a bit rough, but I did it quick cheap and dirty.. has worked well cept the exhaust was close before I put the turbos on. It burn up a seal in the slave once or twice in the summer.. its rebuildable tho

Anyone with a 87-88 manual turbo coupe able to chime in.. my auto tbird coupe should sell off craigslist tonight hopefully. I know the cable pulls can be converted with a plate, rod, and slave cylinder.

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i believe it was the 87-88 turbocoupes that used a hydraulic clutch with the T5, so you could grab a bellhousing from one of those and have no problems.

stackz

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
ok, so aside from getting the hydro bell from a TC, the swap would be pretty much straight forward?? no cutting a new hole in the floorpan for the shifter??

is the lengths on the trannys similar enough that the stock crossmember and driveshaft can be used as well??

it just seems people get to the ranger transmissions a LOT quicker at the u-pull the mustang T5's is all and I've already got most of the parts.

oh yeah, why couldnt I just use the cable pull bell and remove the hydraulic clutch parts and run a cable up to the firewall and just either swap the clutch pedal or modify it to work with the cable??

I had to do this in the past on a civic that I swapped in an early integra drivetrain....the civic was setup as hydraulic slave cylinder but the integra was cable clutch so I just cut/welded to the two clutch pedals together and drilled a hole in the firewall for the clutch cable. it worked fine for 2 years before the car rotted apart haha.

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The t5 is 1" longer, the driveshaft may work just fine. At least it is cheaper and easier to cut down a drive shaft then it is to lengthen one. The shifter is 9" farther back. A new hole is definatly required and the shifter is going to be in a bad location. With buckets and a custom handle it would be fine.
If you were somewhere close to me I would give you a M5OD for a good deal on a WC T5.

rawdawg510

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
hello Guys im new here and i am in the process of swaping my ranger to an Svo 2.3 turbo, i already have the engine intalled. but i want to install the t5. has anyone adapted the Cable to work or have a part number for an internal slave that will work fir the t5?

also will the stock crossmember work or will i need to modify?

Last edited:

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
hello Guys im new here and i am in the process of swaping my ranger to an Svo 2.3 turbo, i already have the engine intalled. but i want to install the t5. has anyone adapted the Cable to work or have a part number for an internal slave that will work fir the t5?

The thread you replied to is almost 10 years old. Start a new one, and be thorough in your information and questions.

choklos88ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual

did you ever find a solution to this for your swapz//??

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
T5 is a easy swap. Need '87-'88 Turbocoupe bell housing & slave cylinder, 10 spline clutch, custom clutch line ('91 & older trucks can use clutch line from an '83-'84 4cyl manual ranger as a plug & play setup, idk if it works for the later clutch master cylinders), cut hole in floor or convert to forward mount shifter (S10 or Modern Driveline tail housing), & relocate the transmission crossmember forward. transmissions are close enough, if not the same length that you can use your stock driveshaft without a problem. The transmission yoke is even the same spline. This is all 1st hand experience as I have installed T5 in my '91 2wd 2.3t truck. About to do this swap again in the coming months to my '88 GT.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals