• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Floor sheetmetal thickness

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Always floored nailed it. It’s in fact 18 gauge!

Some people use brakekleen or like products to clean metal before welding. Dumb dumb dumb idea. A da sander or scotch brite is all it needs if it’s dirty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
BraKleen is one of those products that can be very useful, but also very dangerous. It's not "normal" to use brakleen, I was just passing on knowledge that is seldom known about, just in case.

I buy BraKleen by the 5 gallon bucket. I don't use it in enclosed spaces. I wear nitrile [sp] gloves.

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Always floored nailed it. It’s in fact 18 gauge!

Some people use brakekleen or like products to clean metal before welding. Dumb dumb dumb idea. A da sander or scotch brite is all it needs if it’s dirty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey, great to know about the gauge - thanks!! I also bought a digital micrometer today, just so I don’t have to keep bothering folks about such things. Had to go to four different stores before I found one, which seemed odd.

As for cleaning, I had assumed that if I hit all edges of all surfaces to be welded with a grinder and (if pitted but still solid), a wire wheel, that would get things clean enough. If not, could I just use some rubbing alcohol as a quick degreaser? While I’m on the subject, I’ve always wondered how people protect the exposed (ground and cleaned) metal that’s on the inside of a weld where a double wall exists. I’m assuming that after a car is welded up in the factory, small holes are drilled into such areas so that undercoating can be sprayed or injected into such voids, in order to keep the vehicle from rotting from the inside out at the site of the weld. Does that jive with peoples’ experience? :icon_idea:

I know, I know. Too many questions, not enough worky. :icon_welder:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
A grinding disc will work, but a flap-wheel will work better. It leaves a smoother finish and doesn't remove metal as quickly. 80 grit or 120 grit. I use a wire wheel to get rid of the majority of the rust then use a flap wheel. As for hidden areas I use a weld thru primer. The weld thru primer I use is zinc based. It comes in a aerosol can.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals