Home Ford Ranger Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum  

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Help Forums - Engine & Transmission Forums > Engine Conversions > V-8 Conversion Forums

Old 04-27-2014, 09:34 PM   #1
Dmgctrl88

Vehicle Year: 1986
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger XL 4x4
Dmgctrl88 is on a distinguished road
Default Phoenix Project

Hello All,

I am new to the forum, however, I have been viewing the forum for quite awhile.

I currently am conducting my first V8 swap/ engine build. The focus of this build is to convert my existing engine and transmission on a budget, with potential upgrades later down the road.

First off, here is what we are working with:

1986 Ford Ranger XL 4x4
2.9 V6
A4LD
3 Inch Body Lift
31' All Terrain Tires

The replacement engine will be a 302, with a C4 transmission. I will retain the original Borg Warner 1350 transfer case.

I recently purchased a 302 engine, in parts, and a C4 transmission, with extra engine parts.

Late 80's Mustang:
Engine Block from a GT
Intake Manifold & Intake

Early 90's Mustang:
Heads
Intake Manifold & Intake HO

Late 80's Crown Victoria LX Police:
Crankshaft
Dual Sump Oil Pan

1973 C4 Transmission

And now here are the pictures.

http://i58.tinypic.com/jijfgy.jpg

An old crank and a set of pistons that I'll no longer be using.

Any input is welcome.

Last edited by Dmgctrl88; 12-24-2015 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Reduce Picture Displays
Dmgctrl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')
Old 04-27-2014, 10:42 PM   #2
dangerranger83
5.0 HO under the hood!!!

Vehicle Year: 1983
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: My DD, play toy
dangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to dangerranger83

Since your engine is all pieces, I would take everything to a machine shop and get the tolerances matched up like the the connecting rods to the crankshaft, that looks like it needs turned down or a new one will be needed.

You have e7 heads, but I'm nut sure what pistons you have (cast or forged) but if they came out of a mustang, your forged.

Also use a mustang camshaft if you already aren't.

I would, however, get a transmission with OD such as an AOD trans unless you don't plan on doing much highway driving

Other then that, you are off to a great start.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

5.0 HO carbed, np435 with an np208 transfercase, 32 inch BFGoodrich M/T's, D30 SAS with 6.5 XJ coils, 63 inch leaves in rear.
dangerranger83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:04 PM   #3
jhammel85
Lurker

Awesome! Looks great so far...I must say, the stance that truck has is great. They're 31" x 10.5" tires?
Old 04-29-2014, 10:37 AM   #4
Dmgctrl88

Yes, they are 31 x 10.5's with a 3 inch body lift. It has cleared some crazy ditches.

Some yuppies in their brand new jeep passed me when my spare tire gate fell. (5-50 corded it back) They were surprised after I cleared that ditch.

Right now I'm looking for a few other parts, and I will be getting a new garage soon. I'm going to be looking for a C5 4x4 tail housing that I can put onto my C4.

Last edited by Dmgctrl88; 06-01-2016 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Duplicious Pictures
Old 04-29-2014, 11:47 AM   #5
jhammel85
Lurker

Sure is a clean truck. I'd love to have a bed like that...Mine is getting new arches next week and hopefully, some time soon, a new (to me) ford stamped tailgate.

I just need to find one around here that's not complete junk.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:09 PM   #6
Dmgctrl88

Looks like I will need to rebuild my transmission. Some other forums indicated that a c4 is rather easy to rebuild and that someone even did it blind. I see this as an opportunity to learn a new skill, and I can install a shift kit while im at it. Im still looking for a local c5 tail end though.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:41 AM   #7
Dmgctrl88

Default Update

Since then:

Since my last post, alot of things happened. In June, I ended up quitting my job due to work being slow.

When I started this project I had a slight hint that I was getting in a little over my head.. Soo I decided to take the plunge and learn as much as I could about it. I took up a new job as an intern at a local speed shop, and since then have been absorbing the whole experience, learning very much since then.

Over the summer I had purchased an old 1983 F100 with a 302 and a C6 from a buddy in the Guard. The truck didn't run and I didn't know what to do initially.

Based on what I learned at the speed shop, I was able to get the truck running and flip it, almost learning the hard way through long days and nights of working on it.

Back to the ranger: I was initially working on it at the house that I was renting, disassembling and disconnecting everything from the motor and transmission. To the point of even taking apart the C4 I was going to rebuild as well.

Circumstances dictated I could no longer live at my house, so I had to move. I was able to press on and move everything at the speed shop I intern at.
-----
As of now we're at the speed shop:

As you can see, I recently stripped and vatted the rest of my block. The next thing I need to do is clean it of the residue from vatting and then machine it.

Upon inspection of the cylinders, the bores appear to have a slight ridge, and are sized at approximately 4.005" avg. and will require a bore and hone to 4.020. With this discovery I will have to purchase new pistons, preferably of the flat top variety for the new bore size.

Flat tops should be fine since I already have E7 heads. Right now I can't afford to budget new heads, nor do I want to at this time for fear of overpowering the rest of the stock drive train.

My goal is to setup this engine and transmission for easy upgrading down the road.
-----
Looking ahead:

We will need to measure the journals on the crown victoria crank and stock mustang cam to see if they still can be used. The crank appears to be 95% rust free, while the cam has some bad rust isolated to some journals at one end.

http://i58.tinypic.com/2nrjbk4.jpg

I want to use a stock mustang crank for more lower end power and torque.

All that remains for the engine after it is machined, is to purchase a rebuild kit with the right sized pistons, and then assembly.

I opened the C4, and everything looked decent first hand. The fluid was slightly cooked, and it looked like the the exterior sat outside for a long period of time. I plan on purchasing a shift kit, and a rebuild kit for it as well.

http://i57.tinypic.com/2mdnc0i.jpg

I spent a whole night til 4:00 AM studying how these things work, and in general how automatic transmissions work. It's truly how impressive these things are. It was cool to learn that this was one of Ford's first produced in house transmissions, and just how simple this thing really is.

I will also need to get a C5 tailhousing to match my BW1350 transfer case, and I will also need to upgrade the input shaft to a (12/24/2015 It was a 26 and is usable according to the pros despite pitting on the mid section, was a 26 spline anyways) 26 spline (since its worn anyways).

After the engine and transmission are complete, I will need to rewire "a couple of things". I may need to get a harness from Painless. I will also need to acquire the brackets needed to fit the front of the engine for the accessories, as well as a radiator, with test fitting n' such.

Well, that's all that I have for now. I'll keep y'all posted as I continue.

I'd display pics, but they keep coming out HUGE.

Last edited by Dmgctrl88; 12-24-2015 at 11:44 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:16 PM   #8
Dmgctrl88

Pressing on, I disassembled the C4 today. I'm trying to find out if my existing 24 spline input shaft will still work or whether or not I need to upgrade it to the 26 spline. I'm also wondering if I need to change out the output shaft if I'll be using a C5 tail end. Here is the lot of parts in the shop.

Last edited by Dmgctrl88; 10-16-2014 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Resize
Old 12-24-2015, 11:35 PM   #9
Dmgctrl88

Got the transmission rebuilt. Yes it's been a few months but I am finally ready to press on. I went over every square inch of that transmission and I also installed a transgo shift kit. I utilized the video by bad shoe productions and it has been a pleasant build experience.

I found a C5 output shaft and tail house from Transmission Parts and Cores (Ebay) out in California. They have them time to time as it seems they have a huge inventory of all kinds of different parts.

I now have to make something of those engine parts.

Also, Merry Christmas!

Old 12-25-2015, 10:34 AM   #10
prymetime1

prymetime1 is on a distinguished road

Trans looks great all painted up like that. What kind of rebuild n shift kit did u use? And merry Christmas to u also.
prymetime1 is offline   Reply With Quote