• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gears..or... doubler?

Stumpy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ideally I would like to run 5.13's and a doubler. This rig will only be on the dirt, no street. So it won't ever have to come out of 2-low or double-low.

I want to run 35's (or similar).
For less than the price of re-gearing I could set up a doubler.

-If I run 5.13's (no doubler) my crawl ratio comes out to 47.
-If I run a doubler (w/3.73's) the crawl ratio comes to 85.

Running the doubler seems like the way to go, however, with 35's and 3.73's would that be hard on the drive train at all after the T-case even with the doubler? (axle, driveline, etc.)

I plan on swapping in an 8.8 and a D35, 3.73's seem pretty common, so that's most likely what I'll end up with. I'll eventually re-gear when I have the money, but that'll be pretty far down the road.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

PARKINGLOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'd go with the doubler first, then re-gear after you get the axles....

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
well it doesnt make any sense to regear before you get the axles you plan on actually using for the rest of the life of the truck. a doubler is somthing you can do now, wont be a waste of money in any way, and will give you a better crawl ratio.

hitech_hick

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'd go with the doubler first, then re-gear after you get the axles....
I agree, regearing can cost $600 on the low end if you do it yourself and $1,200 or more if you take it to a shop. Not to mention as pointed out, you will see more benefit with a doubler that with regearing. After going through the hassle of regearing several times, I would go with a doubler before regearing.

hick

Todd

HCT
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/92/99/04
Make / Model
BIITR
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
This is the exact line I took.

At the time I was running 33’s with 3.73 gears and it was OK at best for the type of wheelin I like to do. I found myself in many technical spots having to just roast the clutch in order to maintain the speed I needed. I didn’t have the money to re gear but needed more crawl. So I built my doubler, then a few months down the road helped my buddy Evan build the same unit for his rig as he was having the same proplems.

After the doubler was installed in my rig I did technical crawling that I could have never done before due to the speed control. After the swap I also swapped in an 8.8 and started to run 35” tires. High range for getting around on the accesses trails was also OK at best. Granted at this time my rig was trail only so I didn’t care much about road manners as they SUCKED!!!! Forget about holding 5th or even 4th on any hill. Low range was also ok but I found myself using double low more often with the 35’s and 3.73’s. Also in mud I couldn’t really ever hold 2 gear low when It got thick and deep, when you need wheel speed. It was totally wheel able in this configuration and did damn well.

But now I geared to 4.88 gears and man does it make a hell of a difference. My crawl before the gears was 85 just as yours would be. Now I am at 111. High and low range have waken up and my crawl is just radically sweet.

Doing it this way worked great for me and I believe it would work the same for you. Do the doubler then when you have more money gear it and you will have all the gear options you could ever need.

Stumpy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys for your replies. (especially Todd)

It just seems like the best way to go, I'll post a build up thread of the rig once the funds start coming in!

I'm excited, 85 is a much better crawl ratio than the 36 I'm sitting at now!
Though 117 is the ultimate goal.

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Todd's advice is spot on. Get the doubler, then regear later. I built my doubler about a year ago. I have 3.55s and right now am finally in the process of regearing to 5.13s (with lockers front and rear rather than welded shit).

Good luck.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The nicest thing is when you reach the point where the engine will literally just idle up anything at all without having to use the throttle. This allows you to let the clutch out without having to remove your foot from the brake, and makes for MUCH smoother progress in a technical situation (no rollback).

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Junkie and Todd, with your B2s what trans are you using? I think Todd you have the mitsu? and Junkie i'm not sure. I built a doubler for my old sport, but i broke the inner shaft and have put it all in a box in the corner of the garage. But now that i have built myself a B2 i am thinking of pulling the doubler back out. but i have some concerns. I am runing the M50RD trans and an 8.8. I am using a frt explorer driveshaft shortened an inch. Its pretty short. My concern is with the added 6"s or so of the extra doubler length my shaft just can't take being shorter anymore. What lengths are your driveshaft in the rear. I think i may just be to tall of susp lift.

Sorry stumpy for the small misdirection of your thread

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I have the FM146 in my BII (same length as the M5OD).

My rear driveshaft is somewhere around 27-28" flange-flange (that's with the rearend shoved back almost 3" though).

Todd

HCT
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/92/99/04
Make / Model
BIITR
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
I have the M50D.
As for my rear shaft I am also using an Explorer front shaft shortened. As for length I don’t know it off hand and my rig is not at my place. I do plan on trailering it back today so I could measure it for you.

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
i'm at 31 inches, but i think with the height and angle my driveshaft is at that if i shorten it any it will bind, as it sits now i'm surprized it doesn't. I guess i'll have to lower it, i have been thinking of dropping it a little so i could loose the 4" block in the rear.

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
i'm at 31 inches, but i think with the height and angle my driveshaft is at that if i shorten it any it will bind, as it sits now i'm surprized it doesn't. I guess i'll have to lower it, i have been thinking of dropping it a little so i could loose the 4" block in the rear.
Just aim the rear pig up more towards the t-case and put a double cardian shaft back there.

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Pinion angle is maxed out (lines up with the driveshaft) and I do not want to turn it up anymore being i am already concerned with the pinion bearing and lube. And i am using a Frt explorer shaft with the double joint already.

I'll have to take a pic to show the angle.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals