• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Windows 10 Upgrade

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have two laptops running 7, I keep getting things where they want me to upgrade to Windows 10. Worth it? Have to reinstall everything and hope it is forward compatble? Lose stuff I have saved?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You won't lose any files unless something goes horribly wrong.
And as we all know "Murphy's Law" applies to all things human so............

Good to back up files and photos in any case, upgrade or not.

Windows 10 has been getting better reviews but still has differences from Win7, if you have worked with Win8/8.1 10 is more similar to those.

Google: windows 10 current issues
and
Google: windows 10 compatibility issues

Read up on what to expect, there is a learning curve when working with any new software, or anything else, lol.

We cars guys lost carbs to fuel injection, and points, and then distributors, to Hall sensors and ICU(ignition control modules), but engines still work the same way, just new things to learn :)

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I did the free upgrade and everything works just fine on my PC.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I've heard mixed reviews on it...most common one was "confusing"...I haven't actually used it myself but been meaning to go to a store like Staples and test it out...most of the computers on display are running it so a good chance to play with it before spending the better part of a weekend downloading something that you may not even like...

I just upgraded a friends computer (new computer) from XP to Win7 and there were complications...like the mail program compatibility...not sure if there are those with Win10 but if you use a web based e-mail there shouldn't be a problem...my friend was using OE which was no longer available so had to convert everything over to Windows Live (Essentials)...

Personally...if Windows7 is working for you...I wouldn't bother unless you see some advantage to it like better resource handling (not likely) or better gaming (maybe)...I hate changing things...probably why I stuck to my carbureted 4 banger long after I should have upgraded...:)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My GF has 8.2 on her laptop and I can run it fine. But after 6 years I have no complaints really with 7...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I still have XP on an old dell laptop I need for work, have to have serial port and has to be very slow to talk with some equipment.
Got a new laptop with win8.1 but no serial port and the USB to serial won't work on 100% of the equipment I need to "talk" too, so useless in that respect, but nice laptop, lol.
Having 1 laptop stolen out of the truck would be bad enough, I'll be darned if I'll give the two :)
As slow as the XP/dell is it works with everything I need to work with so no complaints, so that is what I use daily.

Use Win7 on this PC works fine.

Setup wife's office with 5 new computers running win8.1 with option for free win10 upgrade(she had XP Pro), she will do that upgrade after the first of the year when things are slower.
The 8.1 took her a bit to get used to, younger staff had no issues.
Win10 should be no real change at all for her

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I just checked on Win7 support from Microsoft...officially it ended January 13, 2015. You can still download security patches and there is no estimate on when that will stop...other than 2020 when all support ends...

Prior to finding my last XP computer in the garbage 4 years ago, I ran Windows 2000 Pro about 6 years after Microsoft ended all updates and security patches...never had a problem with that OS, although not too many people were interested in hacking an old beast with a slow connection.

I just called the store where I got my friends computer for her and the guy offered me a similar unit with Windows 7 for a good price. If I go that route instead of upgrading the RAM on the Macbook I might look into the upgrades available...I just upgraded the Apple OS to the latest one (El Capitain) and it was also free...just took me the better part of the weekend to complete. Since then I have already downloaded two more upgrades that, fortunately, ran in the background...but were rather large...

Something else to consider if you are on a limited data plan...these OS files can be huge...6 GB according to Forbes...and you might want to read this article to find out if the download has already started without your knowledge...apparently that is happening...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/07/28/windows-10-automatic-download/

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've seen Microsoft try to slip in a operating system "upgrade" from windows 8 to windows 8.1 by labeling the upgrade something innocuous. I now investigate all updates that aren't windows defender.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I'd never heard of that before reading the above article. I've found the documentation on the upgrades tends to be long and convoluted and after a few paragraphs of legal spegal I skip to the "I Accept" button...hoping I didn't just sign up for something I don't want later...

I'm trying to be a bit more astute with the Mac software...but they tend to use the BWB method (baffle with bull$hit) as well...

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'm liking 10 more than 8. 8 drove me nuts, 10 is somewhere between 7 and 8 for appearance and function.

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Or be original and step away from the herd, run Ubuntu. I did several years and will NEVER go back.

http://www.ubuntulinux.org/
This is my plan. As soon as I can get one of my old computers running. Gone thru three so far and bsod on all 3. It's been a long time since I played with computers and I'm wondering if I'm forgetting something simple.

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
If I could run Linux at work I would or at least dual boot.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
This is my plan. As soon as I can get one of my old computers running. Gone thru three so far and bsod on all 3. It's been a long time since I played with computers and I'm wondering if I'm forgetting something simple.

Yes, I was going to got hat route quite a few years ago...then I found myself without a computer for a few years...had to go to libraries and government employment centers just to play games and visit TRS...

BSODs are usually memory related...IIRC...seems like years since I've seen one...something is trying to access a memory block that is occupied by something else with a higher priority...

Are you sure there are no viruses on those machines??? They can attempt to overwrite critical memory just to mess with things...but I'm getting farther away from being able to TS things too...not just age...lol...more like "do I really need to do this anymore..."

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals