• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

random misfire, 2004 2v 5.4 f150

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so 2 years ago my buddys pickup with only 68k got a random misfire, went diagnosed and eventually blew up the engine. he got a loan from the bank and had a shop put a "new" engine in it with a 4 year warranty...

the same week he got the pickup back the same issue started. ive spent the last year helping him on and off replace random parts trying to get this thing fixed.

well take off from his house, drive maybe 4 miles, go thru a few intesections, drive maybe 10 minutes. randomly you will stop at an intersection and it will start running real rough, low idle, in drive. push the brake/gas, it gets better. put it in neutral and it pretty much goes away. stop at the next intersection and it may or may not do it, more often then not if you dont apply gas it will just die.

i have replaced the power steering pressure switch, fuel pump, filter, full tune up. ive unplugged pretty much every sensor i can think of, the injectors are plugged in, pretty sure i smelled the line on the fuel pressure regulator, sprayed starter fluid around, added an extra 5 ft lbs tq to the intake. probably forgetting some stuff.

it has been back to the shop that swapped the engine several times, as well as the ford dealership. in fact the pickup basicaly lives there now, they cant seem to figure it out. and say they cant do live streaming.

any idears? google search shows a bunch of these threads on the f150 forums.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
So the dumbasses at your local dealership can't recognize a sticking torque converter clutch when they see it in person. I never should have hung up the wrenches.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So the dumbasses at your local dealership can't recognize a sticking torque converter clutch when they see it in person. I never should have hung up the wrenches.
they are the "special" kind of mechanics, that also charge 6500 to swap in a "remanufactured" engine...

shouldnt that cause the problem at every stop tho?

i know almost NOTHING about how automagics work.

obviously the problem only occurs after the drivetrain is warmed up.

also i guess i should have noted that it does throw codes for a random misfire, and occasionally a specific cylinder.

however the pickup is on 35's with stock gears and i was told the guy he bought it from used it in the dunes..

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
also i guess i should have noted that it does throw codes for a random misfire, and occasionally a specific cylinder.
Is it always the same cylinder? Swap the coilpack with a different cylinder and see if the missfire moves with it.

Might check around the spark plugs for moisture, I had a random missfire in my '02 with a 2v 5.4, snow had drifted in thru the wheel well and settled around #7 melted with engine heat and was shorting it out. It never pinned down which one was missfiring, just threw a code for random. I think there are heater hoses that can leak into certain spark plug wells too.

Dad's '05 had tranny shudder, never really seemed like a missfire. I am sure your results may vary on that too though.

F-150 Heritage I take it?

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
shouldnt that cause the problem at every stop tho?
No, a sticking TCC can be intermittent. It can also set random misfire codes.

The fact that it tries to stall at a stop and perks right up when taken out of gear makes it sound like a TC clutch.

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
Gotta wonder if it a faulty relay for the trans? or for either the ignition or the fuel delivery? was the IAC replaced as well?

I'm not saying that it can't be a sticking TC.....with just 68k....wow something is clearly overlooked

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals