• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Starting and running issues

83RangerBill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's on a 93 f150 has the 302 in it. will fire up but when put into gear dies immediately once you get going if you step into it it will sputter and struggle if you slowly ease into it it goes up to speed. After I ran it for a bit then shut it off it flooded (could smell gas coming from the exhaust) if left over night will fire up. I'm stuck needing some ideas

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Assuming original setup, fuel injection using MAP sensor and distributor with TFI spark?

Pull out air cleaner to make sure engine is getting full air flow, no blockages

FPR(fuel pressure regulator) is on the fuel rail, it will have the Fuel Return hose attached and a Vacuum Hose, remove vacuum hose and check it for fuel, replace FPR is there is fuel in there, engine is flooding out from vacuum sucking in that fuel.

MAP sensor will be on the firewall it will have wires and a Vacuum hose, remove that vacuum hose and check it is not broken or cracked.
Suck on end of hose to make sure MAP sensor holds vacuum.

Pull out a few spark plugs, see what they tell you about conditions in cylinder, i.e. Rich or Lean

Exhaust blockage is unlikely since it can be REVed up, slowly, but will REV

83RangerBill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thank you will do

83RangerBill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Still having trouble tried to pull the codes and get absolutely no response from the cel truck now starts sometimes and still fouling out the plugs due to a really rich condition. Tried testing the map get 5 volts from that. Checked fuel pressure regulator no fuel leaking into vacuum line. Cleaned the iac up had a little crap in it but not to much. I'm just completely stumped. Pumping the gas helps it start sometimes

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals