• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

93 4x4 swap to 93 2wd electric t-case switch

Seven3_AH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm swapping a 4x4 trans/t-case into my 2wd ranger that is getting a SAS swap, my question is the t-case is electric. So I was wondering if anyone has wired up a 3 way switch or something to do 4h, 4lo, and 2wd or if I need the pcm and all wires from 4x4 ranger to hook up the factory switch. Any insight on this would be helpful

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

The electric transfer case uses a rotary shift rod that turns 270deg from 2WD to 4Low
Each 90deg is a shift position, counter clockwise from 2WD:
2WD-----4High-----Neutral------4low

Then it must go clockwise back to 2WD

There are 2 "Power wires" on the electric shift motor, it is a DC motor so you simply reverse polarity to get clockwise or counter clockwise rotation

The OTHER 5 wires on the motor are to detect the position of the shift rod, and that's the trick, otherwise you are just guessing where to stop for 2WD, 4high, neutral and 4low.
Running motor to either end would cause it to stop but motor would overheat each time depending on how long it kept getting power after it reached end limit of shift rod.

The 4x4 shift module uses the 5 wires to "know" where the shift rod was and where it needed to move(driver selection) and when it got there.

The dash lights just confirm the shift rod's location via those 5 wires.
You might be able to use dash lights and manual control of shift motor polarity to get it into correct position, but is kinda like reinventing the wheel since Ford already did that part.
You don't need the PCM just the 4x4 module, you would need to "trick it" to show transmission in Neutral, brakes on, for shift to 4low

Good look here at the shift motor, drive and shift contact plate(5 wires): http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-rebuild-4x4-shift-motor.123542/

You can get a Shiftster, it bolts onto the transfer case in place of the electric motor.
It allows manual shifting of transfer case with detents that hold it in place.
If you have manual hubs then you can leave transfer case in 4high and just lock and unlock the hubs for 2WD or 4high
You would have to get under vehicle for shift to 4 low

Last edited:

Seven3_AH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hm, I don't have dash lights, the t-case is going into a factory 2wd ranger, so there's nothing there for 4x4, maybe I can swap gauge clusters to get lights
Thanks for info!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals