• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My Rough Country Lift failure

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Earlier this year I bought a Rough Country 3-inch suspension lift for my 2010 Ford Super Duty.

Friday I finally took time out to install it.

Everything was going good, until I installed the spacer under the front coil seat, and started tightening the new longer 14mm x 130mm bolt that replaces the factory bolt. I was tightening it by hand with a breaker bar, and broke it off. :annoyed:

Fortunately the piece that broke off in the top of the axle came right out by hand. Rough Country doesn't supply any torque specs for this bolt, so I was just getting it nice and tight by hand.

So, I compared the factory bolt to the one I broke, and saw that the factory bolt has a 10.9 rating, but the Rough Country bolt only has a 8.8 rating. :shok: Why would you replace such a critical bolt with a weaker one, especially since the new one is long and will have more leverage placed on it? :icon_confused:

So, right now I'm fawked. I can't find a 14mm x 130mm bolt locally and had to order one from a place in Michigan. I ordered it over the weekend, and called them Monday to make sure it was going to ship. They assured me it would. They even sent me a USPS tracking number Monday. I tracked it today, and it was saying that they received the information, but hadn't picked it up. I called the place and they assured me it shipped Monday, and said USPS tracking is probably behind. Well, I checked on the tracking and found that USPS didn't get it until 10:33pm tonight (Tuesday). The tracking info says I won't get it until Thursday.

So thanks to Rough Country and their cheap ass shitty bolt, I've been without a vehicle since Friday, and will be without one for almost a week.

I need to write to them and urge them to replace those bolts in their kits with a 10.9 rated bolt. I'm just glad it broke here, and not while I'm pulling my 8,000lb trailer.

Attachments

Last edited:

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Bummer Jim. Even with this unfortunate situation, good to see you wrenching again.

You still in Dallas?

Haven't seen you on here in awhile, all is positive on your end?
I'm not in Dallas yet. I went down for a week in June and stayed with my daughter. I sold my house, but I don't have a closing date yet. Once I close I'm hooking up the camper and heading to Texas. Just trying to get some stuff that I wanted to do to my truck done while I still have a garage.

I'll be going to Dallas by myself and starting my next chapter in life. Life can either suck, or you can move forward, and look forward to new adventures. I'm looking forward to what my future holds in Texas. :popcorn:

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
Why by yourself? Did you and Mrs. TRS call it quits? If so, sorry to hear that Jim.

The wife and I are planning a out of state move as well. We are thinking Gulf Coast of FL.

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You might go thru the rest of the kit and check for more cheap outs.

For as long as they made the diff hole punching kit for the Ranger (did they every fix it?) I would have been leery about them.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals