• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Un nerving noise from wife's X

jcd302

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
It has been doing odd things. Replaced the RF hub assembly on the 03 Explorer (110k). All other 3 wheels are tight, that one had slight play, thinking OK great found the source of the noise. Pulled the diff cover off as well, all looked good (as I was told), buttoned it up and filled with Lucas 80/90.

Take it to work, few little noises, nothing big, little whine that could be the tires. Coming home, get on X-way, 15 miles, nice and quiet. Kill the cruise at the exit as I am slowing down and get this growling whine again. Give it gas, goes away. Stressing a bit as Wednesday the kids and I need to go back to Chicago (250 miles) for the mom-in-laws funeral.

Why is this only doing it when the load is released? and not all the time, just after a good hwy run. Looking for hints, suggestions & prayers as I have a few hours in the morning to look it over (again). My worst fear is the trans is going. Once in a while it does a slight surge, kind of feels like a misfire. :dunno:

Last edited:

mylittleblackbird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Pontiac
Engine Size
4.6L 3.8L 2.8L
If you suspect the transmission could be to blame, what does the fluid look/smell like?

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you suspect the transmission could be to blame, what does the fluid look/smell like?
The sad thing about the transmissions on these is the fact that they don't have a dipstick. Expect for pulling the standpipe plug on the bottom of the transmission pan that would be the only way to check it.

mylittleblackbird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Pontiac
Engine Size
4.6L 3.8L 2.8L
Good to know. Whoever thought to do that wasn't thinking with their dipstick.

Get the whole thing good and warmed up, and spin the rear wheels by hand. Wear pattern looks good, though.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals