• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Carb question

kevinebass

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
First off let me say hello to everyone. This is my first post and the vehicle is my first BII also, actually it is my son's.

So my Son has an 84 BII with the usual 2.8 and the transmission is the 3-spd C-5. My son and I just finished doing the duraspark conversion so the computer is gone and only now have oil pressure, water temp and alternator wires connected up. I haven't removed the smog pump yet but will soon. We replaced the original carb with a 2150 from an older ford van. It has the needed 1.08 venturi size with a manual choke. My son and I rebuilt the carb and got everything mounted up except the kickdown rod cuz the carb was for a manual transmission and I haven't figured out how to make it work yet, any ideas???

I read everything on this board about timing and vacuum connections and here is what we did. Connected the vacuum advance from the new distributor to the manifold vac on the tree (had it on ported from the carb but it didnt seem to be advancing properly and seems to run better on manifold vac). I read that lots of folks have better luck timing at 12 degrees but found that mine worked best around 10 degrees. It seemed to want to backfire through the carb when I was at 12. Any thoughts on that?

So now that the background is set let me tell you the issues I am having. The carb was rebuilt and we put size 48 jets in it (lots of folks say 50's work best but I am in Colorado Springs at about 6500ft elevation and read that a smaller jet would work better). The issue I am having is I am getting a VERY noticable stumble off the line, to the point it will stall if I don't feather the gas. Once the vehicle is TOTALLY warm it seems to get better but not perfect. I also noticed that if I pull the choke just a bit it doesn't stumble which tells me it needs more fuel???

SO, do you guys think I need bigger jets? Also I have some pics from the durasparking if anyone wants to see.

Thanks guys.
Kevin

mylittleblackbird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Pontiac
Engine Size
4.6L 3.8L 2.8L
Make sure the choke rod is set to the high altitude setting.

Also, you may need to change the location of the accelerator pump lever. I would consider that perhaps it is stumbling due to a lean condition from additional fuel not being there when the air is introduced. Just a thought. Cold engines like more fuel to run.

As an additional note. Different engines take different choke settings. As I do not know if you adjusted the carb for the vehicle it is on, that is a consideration as well.

Last edited:

kevinebass

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
Blackbird,
appreciate the feedback. The way I set the carb up was as follows:

1. Total rebuild
2. Jets installed were 48's
3. Throttle was placed on the third hole up from the bottom (was what the online posts and the book said to do). Do you think I should move this? Which way does what?
4. Got it all installed and tuned the fuel/air screws. Both out about 3.5 turns till high idle was obtained.

What I still don't understand is what controls the off idle fuel mix, is it the jets, float, fuel/air screws, a combo?? I agree it seems to want more gas off idle, hence why it doesn't stumble when I pull the choke a bit. Was thinking of putting in 50's for the jet size and seeing what happens, problem is nobody in town sells them I will have to order them.

Again thanks for the help on this, much appreciated.

Kevin

mylittleblackbird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Pontiac
Engine Size
4.6L 3.8L 2.8L
Let me preface by stating I am not a master of the carbs. I understand how they work and what it takes. To ensure proper adjustment, I have yet to learn. I rebuilt my carb for the 84 this summer and lucked out at sea level without any issues aside from the brakes being locked from sitting.

That said,

Moving the accelerator pump arm up to the top hole would actuate it sooner, potentially staving off the fuel starvation.

Speaking from limited experience of the specifics of carb setup, but general understanding, the accelerator pump would be what controls the off-idle mix. You apply throttle, the valve depresses pushing more fuel into the system.

While probably not the correct method to address the situation, I would also consider adjusting the idle mixture to be a little richer to see if that aids the off idle issue.

As I do not have mine available to toy with currently and see what settings do what specifically, I can't really provide any further suggestions outside of changing the position of the lever.

I wish I could offer a more confident suggestion, but as I have not experienced it myself, I can only offer my understanding of how things work and how I would attempt to compensate.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Did you plug the vacuum leak in the choke housing for the preheater tube. on the three screws had hold the choke assy to the carb the larger one has a port for the preheater tube that you dont have. you need to plug it up somehow pull it off and squirt some liquid metal or something in it to plug it you will see when you take it off. Is your PCV new and the egr plugged off. My automatic choke works just fine I got a choke heater from a late 70s carb and wired it to the coil posative by the time the choke opens it runs just fine and the high idle works well also.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
sorry I meant electric choke thermostat.

kevinebass

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
Guys thanks a lot for the help on this. So I decided to go over everything I did when I durasparked the BII and also went over the carb. I checked for vacuum leaks and didn't find any. After being frustrated for a while since I couldn't find the problem I said what the heck let me check the timing. Well what do you think I find? I am running like 5 degrees of timing. I have no idea how that happened, maybe the distributor wasn't seated all the way or something because when I installed everything after the duraspark I timed the damn thing like 3 times to make sure I was good.

So after retiming it, changing my vacuum tree setup, and resetting/retightening the distributor the damn BII was like a new machine. I was able to EASILY hit 75 on the freeway. I am not sure that ever happened before!!! My stumble at idle is gone and it now accellerates and shifts like a new vehicle.

So in appreciation for how well she did I took the BII to the local pick and pull and bought her new USED seats out of a EB aerostar. Believe it or not the tracks bolted DIRECTLY up to the BII seat tracks. While I was there I also bought her an explorer console (not direct fit BTW) and a roof rack.

All in all she looks great. Pic's can be taken if you guys care to see the seats in. They even have arm rests built-in. AWESOME..

Thanks again guys.

mylittleblackbird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Pontiac
Engine Size
4.6L 3.8L 2.8L
Glad to hear you got it fixed! Now come fix mine!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals