• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

speedometer gear calculations

rkneeshaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
So I am about to put 32's on my 4x4 ranger and between the non-stock tires that are on there now, the bouncy speedo, and the fact I dont know any of the 185k miles of history on this truck, and the fact that the speedo currently is not very accurate, I'd like to run some fresh calculations to find out what speedo gear I SHOULD have in there and just pretend whatever is in there now doesnt exist or is just plain wrong.

I've got an R6 axle which is a 3.73 limited slip, and the 32" tires I'm installing run 649.7 revs per mile. There's a formula on the tech library that I think might help me out but my algebra skills have been long forgotton:

Driven Gear Teeth = (Drive Gear Teeth x Axle Ratio x Tire Rev. Per Mile) / 1000

Given the info I have, the formula looks like:

Driven Gear Teeth = (Drive Gear Teeth x 3.73 x 649.7) / 1000

Can any of you math wizards help me solve this equation?

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
16.9 tooth speedo gear.. so a white 17 tooth gear should solve your equation... i believe you have a pink 19 tooth gear.. ive mess with this SOO much its stupid.. iam starting to remember them by color an what tooth they are.. lol

Yeah dont listen to me i SUCK at math.. i think thats wrong haha

rkneeshaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
:( I wonder how I would complete this calculation?

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
you've got two variables and only one equation, so it can't be solved. You need to know the number of drive gear teeth, the number of teeth on the gear that drives the speedometer gear. I don't know how to find the number of teeth on that gear, but somebody should know because they ought to be the same for any BW1354 transfer case.

rkneeshaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I guess the other way to approach this is if I was able to find out what gear was in there in stock form, then I could calculate off that.... Anyone know what color gear is stock for a 4L 4x4 manual with 3.73 axle?

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i just check my speed with the local police when they set up their radar speed check display. it says i'm doing 32 and my speedo says 30, i know exactly. i also use the calculator in the library forum and that keeps me close and legal.

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
i just check my speed with the local police when they set up their radar speed check display. it says i'm doing 32 and my speedo says 30, i know exactly. i also use the calculator in the library forum and that keeps me close and legal.
I think that would make me speed even more, with the knowledge that if I get a speeding ticket I can just buy a speedometer gear and show the receipt for fixing it to the judge and get out. :icon_rofl:

Plus I'm just obsessive about doing things the right way.

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I guess the other way to approach this is if I was able to find out what gear was in there in stock form, then I could calculate off that.... Anyone know what color gear is stock for a 4L 4x4 manual with 3.73 axle?
That's the way to go.

rkneeshaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I pulled the gear thats in there now, its Yellow, now I just dont know if that is stock or not....

rkneeshaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Having a hard time finding answers, maybe my search skills leave some to be desired..... anyone know how many drive gear teeth are inside a 1354 transfer case?

EDIT: This thread over on explorerforums seems to give a little info, but its confusing. One guy says 8 teeth, but the picture looks more like 6 gear teeth: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1718380

Last edited:

beaglegun

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L Auto Trans
Transmission
Automatic
I'm struggling with the same problem. I put 33's on and can't figure out what driven gear to buy to get my speedometer and odometer right. I'm guessing I need to count the teeth on the drive gear in order to do the math and figure out what color driven gear to buy. I removed the speedometer sensor from the transfer case but I can't see into that hole, even with a mirror. Surely there is info somewhere that will give me the info on the drive gear?????

rkneeshaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I found what I needed:

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

You need to know your tire size, rear gear ratio, the transmission you have (MD05-R1), and transfer case (Borg Warner 1354). Plug it in and it will tell you what speed you are going in x gear at x RPMs. Then use that data to plug into the other calculators and get the right speedo gear.

For me, at 2000 RPM in 5th gear, with my 3.73 stock gears and 32" tires I'm doing 65mph. Turns out, my speedo gear is within 2mph or so at that speed, so I'm all set.

Last edited:

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
16.9 tooth speedo gear.. so a white 17 tooth gear should solve your equation... i believe you have a pink 19 tooth gear.. ive mess with this SOO much its stupid.. iam starting to remember them by color an what tooth they are.. lol

Yeah dont listen to me i SUCK at math.. i think thats wrong haha
Where can you buy these speedo gears at? Does it have to be a tranny shop? Thanks for any info.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals