• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

91 Ranger Radio Wiring

Mhfco6

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235/75/15
I need a bit of help wiring my antique Sony ESR11 headunit in my 91 Ranger. I've searched a few different wiring diagrams and this is what I have come up with. It seems my wire harness colors all match my diagram, but the truck colors do not (my diagram has colors that are not on my truck.. and my truck has colors that aren't on the diagrams) I hope this makes sense. The only thing I have is a very low volume pass. side speaker. Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys!

.•HARNESS•. ~~~~ .•TRUCK•.
Yellow ~~~~~~ Green/Yellow
Red ~~~~~~ Yellow/Black
Black ~~~~~~~. Chassis
There is a spot on my head unit for ground
Blue ~~~~~~~~ N/A
Blue/White Stripe ~~~~~ N/A
Orange/White Stripe ~~~ Blue/Red
Green ~~~~~~ Pink/Green
Green/Black Stripe ~~~~ Pink/Blue
White ~~~~~~ Orange/Green
White/Black Stripe ~~~~ Black/White
Purple ~~~~~~~ Pink/Blue
Purple/Black ~~~~~~ Green/Orange
Gray ~~~~~~ White/Green
Gray/Black Stripe ~~~~~ Black/White

Last edited:

Mhfco6

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235/75/15
I just found this.. going to see if it helps me.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/pdf_documents/90_Ranger-BroncoII_base_radio.pdf

These wire colors matched perfect. Unfortunately only the left channel seemed to play any music. This headunit was installed once before and there was some funny wiring when I bought the truck.. I imagine I hooked it up the same way it was when I bought it.

Both left and right front speakers are hooked up to the headunits left channel.

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I have a AM/FM/Cassette from a 93 Tempo sitting in a bin here with the pigtails intact. I don't remember the wiring specifically but that link you posted looks very familiar as far as wire colors go. I was just looking at the larger connector from the back and had taken some pictures but after I emailed them to myself I deleted them from my computer.

If you still need help I will see what I can do to help you figure this out. That link will hopefully be in the Tech Articles for while but I also have a Haynes manual that has the same diagram...

Mhfco6

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235/75/15
I have a AM/FM/Cassette from a 93 Tempo sitting in a bin here with the pigtails intact. I don't remember the wiring specifically but that link you posted looks very familiar as far as wire colors go. I was just looking at the larger connector from the back and had taken some pictures but after I emailed them to myself I deleted them from my computer.

If you still need help I will see what I can do to help you figure this out. That link will hopefully be in the Tech Articles for while but I also have a Haynes manual that has the same diagram...
Thanks for your reply. I'm not terribly worried about it at the moment, as it is working right now. I think one of the channels is probabaly messed up on the radio/amp.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals