• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5 Speed Manual Transmission trouble

kdowney50

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1994 B2300 w/5 Speed manual transmission. Its going south fast. Anyone here ever rebuilt one? I found a kit on line for $275.00. Otherwise a used one is $350.00 and a complete rebuild is $650.00.

I am an industrial mechanic by trade. I have tools and access to a hydraulic press. However, I have never rebuilt a manual transmission. What am I getting myself into?

I don't want to buy a used tranny and pay for some one else's problems. However, having it rebuilt is out of my price range right now. So, unless you guys talk me out of it, I'm going to rebuild it myself!

Let me know what you think.

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
I haven't rebuilt one myself but, I've heard that you need to take apart the transmission to find out how many teeth you have on the 5th/Reverse slider (I assume what the company meant was synchro sleeve, IDK). And there is a cheaper rebuild kit on ebay. It goes for $179.45.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220574539441&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_1204wt_941

If it were me though, I'd just get a reman unit. It's easier that way. But if you want the challenge, then I say go for it and rebuild your current transmission.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I have rebuilt these transmissions. They are pretty simple units. If you are an industrial mechanic then you probably have the required skills to do this. You do need to figure out how many teeth are on the 5th/reverse SLIDER to get the right kit though.

This is a sliding reverse gear transmission. If you decide to do it yourself PM me and I'll copy the instructions from the Ford shop manual for you.

kdowney50

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Mucahs Gracias!

Thanks for the support and info! I can save money and do the rebuild with instructions! What could be better?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'll have to pull my old computer out and find the copy of the instructions. I'll do that tomorrow and send them to you then.

kdowney50

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Tranny Trouble Redux

OK, I got the tranny out and found the main drive gear on the input shaft is worn out. I bought the "Deluxe" kit from this outfit in El Paso. They even threw in both sets of 5th/Reverse synchros! I got it rebuilt and installed with the help of a buddy's motorcycle jack. Muchas Gracias, Mike!

Now, it works like a charm in all but 5th. (Overdrive) It shifts into 5th without a problem but when I let out the clutch, it jumps out of gear.

I pulled the tranny (again!) Friday and broke it down. I thought I had put in the wrong 5th gear synchronizer. So I put in a different one. This one had larger teeth than the previous one and had teeth missing in 3 spots around the ring. (Just like the reverse synchronizer)

I got the tranny back in today, (Saturday) but its doing the same thing.

Any ideas? I'm stumped.

1580rick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I sure could use a copy of those repair instructions and a address where you got your parts. Thanks!!! gatar12557@yahoo.com

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Did you at any time disturb the "big torque nut" on the 5th/reverse shifter bellcrank pivot shaft?

the synchro with the missing teeth is the reverse ring.

the one with no missing teeth is for 5th.

The internal taper is different on the two rings
and the inner serrations on the reverse ring (if an all brass ring"
look for all the world like they are "pre Worn" because frankly tyou don't want the reverse synchro to be completely effective...

Ever "shift into sixth" at highway speed?

BOTH synchros on your trans should be the "big tooth" as ford
switched to the "Big tooth" synchros late in 1991

AD

kdowney50

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Did I what?!

As a matter of fact I did disturb that nut. I loosened it to get the shaft out during tear down. Is it possible I need to adjust that? How do I go about that?

I also noticed, during reassembly, the different internal taper of the 5th and reverse synchronizers. Thus, I was careful not to confuse one with the other.

And no, I have never shifted into "6th" at highway speeds, but it sounds scary!

Last edited:

rcwc28

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford&mazda
Engine Size
2.3/both
Transmission
Manual
As a matter of fact I did disturb that nut. I loosened it to get the shaft out during tear down. Is it possible I need to adjust that? How do I go about that?

I also noticed, during reassembly, the different internal taper of the 5th and reverse synchronizers. Thus, I was careful not to confuse one with the other.

And no, I have never shifted into "6th" at highway speeds, but it sounds scary!
oh i did kindof down the freeway and a nasyt buzz grind noise ooohh nastty

Grandpa's S/S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I have the same problem. I got 402k on my mazda and I and looking at a 4th tranny. The 3.0 version just don't hold up. My last rebuild cost me $700. I think I will rebuild mine this time or swap to an automatic out of an aerostar. I can do that cheaper. I could use a copy of the rebuild instructions myself if you can spare the time. I like my truck and don't plan on letting her down.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals