• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

high idle, codes and question on pulling codes

xentris02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
my truck has an idle problem once in a while when i come to a complete stop the truck idles higher than normal making it hard to stop it will idle around 600 normaly. but when i stop and the idle problem show it will idle around 900 and when i throw it into park it will jump to 1000 to 1500. i do have code but my first question is when i did the koeo it threw out code 111 (system is ok) but then it threw out more codes? is it suspose to do that because in my mind system is not ok if its throwing out codes. keep in mind its obd1

codes i got during KOEO
111 System checks OK
122 (O,M) TP low (possibly grounded or open circuit) - TPS
125 (M) TP voltage was lower than expected - Fuel control

then on KOER test i got
116 (O,R) Engine Coolant (ECT) sensor out of range - ECT
538 (R) System did not receive "goose" test - TESTS
536 (O,R,M) Brake On Off open or shorted to ground - BOO

if you all can please help me figure out these problems thanks ahead of time.

litlred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
the system tells you current codes, the tells you codes it has in its memory, that nothing is out currently.

116- did you let the engine warm up before you started the test?
538-536 when testing after the lights blink (twice for 4banger, 3 times for 6, 4 for v8) your suppose to turn the steering wheel and let off as well as tap your breaks, the wait for the light to blink, then goose it to wide open throttle and the let off, then wait for your codes...

try retesting and see if you get the same codes
also if you want to delete the codes in your memory all you do is interupt the test while the codes are coming, flipping it from test to hold did the trick in mine.

xentris02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i just reset the pcm so i will redo the test once my check engine light comes on probaly later today and yes i let the engine warm up. thanks for shareing that pice of info on the goose test i will try that

xentris02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
ok so i reset the pcm and let it idle for 10 15 min like some one sugested on another thread some one posted a while back. the check engigne light came on so i did the KOEO and code 122 came up then did the koer and still 538 i must of done it at a wrong time or some thing ill have to work on that one. so dose this mean my tps is going out?

xentris02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
sorry to clairfy the check engine light came on like 30 min after i let it idle and reset the pcm

litlred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
id say try it one more time, or if you know anyone with the same part number, swap it and see if it fixes it before you buy the part, ive always had problems with the parts store not wanting to take electric parts back.... but as long as you your doing it right then that should be the problem, good luck

xentris02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
thanks ill post how it goes

xentris02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
the tps has been working do far but before i put this one on the old one started to run fine for a whole week wich never happened before. so im not convinced that the tps was the problem yet i kinda think a wire some where cause of the low voltage code on the tps

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals