• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.8 in 1985 STX 4X4

Madmike2023

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hello everyone, I'm news to the page. My build is a 1895 STX Ranger. I'm going to be putting a 5.8l, automatic transmission and 205 Tcase. That is this years plan. Next year I want to put full width Dana 50 up front and a 10.25 out back. As this build goes on I'm sure I will have many questions.
I have looked over the V8 swap section and haven't seen too many posts on first gen ranger 4X4s. Any and all tips and hints will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
welcome......

they are pretty simple critters the gen 1 trucks. internet was not really much of a thing when i first started building and helping others modify them.

if you have one with minimal rot you have a open canvas to say the least...

when you say full width dana 50 do you mean a solid super duty axle or a ttb axle?

Madmike2023

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Solid supper duty axle

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
nice....biiiiig brakes.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
1895 STX Ranger.
Wow, that must be rare, an 1895 ranger :D

Just messin, welcome to TRS.

A 351 swap is more less the same as a 302 swap except the steering gets in the way. Athough with superduty running gear you pry wont be leaving much stock ranger steering anyways.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You might check this out:

http://www.therangerstation.com/how-to/engines-fuel-systems/

Exhaust us tighter than a 302. The same as a 302 a body lift makes everything easier.

Also if you hang a 205 on an aluminum trans be sure to use the mount on the tcase to support it. It will twist up an aluminum transmission case.

Madmike2023

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Update on build

I got the donor truck home and got a distributor from a wrecking yard. The truck came with 2 PCMs how can I tell which one is for a 5.8l? I think the injector pulse is not right. I have fuel up to the rails but no spray. If I spray starter fluid in the intake it will run for a few seconds so I know it has spark. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Madmike2023

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Update

On here's an update. After putting in New to me distributor the donor truck Will run for a few seconds and then die. It won't start again and seems to Dr flooded. Tomorrow I'll be changing spark plugs and see if that helps. If I get it to run strong I'll start the swap..... Pics Will come with the build updates.

Madmike2023

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Update to the 5.8. Got it running doesn't die when you hit the throttle. Has a miss but could just be a fouled plug or two. Now the next step is getting the wire harness figured out. I want the harness to be just the motor. I don't need the horn,lights or any other unnecessary wiring. If anyone has any useful tips that would be great.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
have not been back since 6-2-18.....i would not have guessed it had been that long...:icon_confused: busy...too busy.

what year 351? what system efi? power goals?

it seems you figured out the eec pc codes....if that is what you are using.

i would assume your using eec4, but for all i know you have a lightening setup which is unique.

the eec4 is essentially a 1 wire hookup if everything is remaining stock to get it running, which you have obviously figured out..

eec5 is a bit more work but offers a huge range of tuning.

using a hybrid intake system? or stock truck?

stock injectors? stock rail and fuel pressure regulator?

what fuel pump? clean power to fuel pump?

what manifolds/headers did you use?

o2 sensor/sensors correctly mounted? this can cause odd issues. when not running cats, and a bigger set of pipes i have found i need to put it a bit closer to the fire or theres fuel trim issues.. and o2 heater circuit functioning.....the older harnesses sometimes are fuse linked and once shorted out the heater circuit dont work...

if you know for sure the engine ran flawlessly before the swap, its possible debris got into the fuel system and maybe some intectors are fouled as well. dont get me wronk, may just be a few boogered plugs from the initial fire up process...

but

i flush the fuel systems now before fire ups with no injectors in place and if i have any doubts, i have used injectors cleaned and flowed these days. i have had ridiculous tuning issues in the past having used all new injectors and fuel systems, then once on dyno finding the fueling anomalies, so based on that putting another set of new injectors in and all is well....thinking at first i got brand new shitty injectors(which does happen quite a bit too)....then finding out i was the dumb fawk that probably fouled the new injectors by not following proper flushing ettiquette...

well......you will have that.

so dont be like me:icon_twisted:

the wiring is dependent on needs/goals and actual systems employed.

Madmike2023

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The donor truck

The donor truck is a 1994 F150 4X4. It the engine is either from a 94 or 95 F250 so I have been told. As for the wiring harness I am wanting to delete everything that doesn't need to be there for the engine to run.....IE the head lights, horn, turn signals and so on. The F150s harness is all complete.

Madmike2023

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Winter project

Well now that I have the F-150's 5.8L on the engine stand and the harness is on the garage floor my winter project is to make the harness stand alone. I have done some research and it looks easy enough. Once I get home I will start that project and post some pictures. I'm hopping to start transplant in the spring. I have to do all my work in the big sky garage AKA outside.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals