• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 2.5L, rough idol and misfiring during acceleration and driving

Ave345

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
This problem has been around since I bought my Ranger, but it also comes and goes, so I always end up forgetting about it but now it seems like it’s back and is going to stay.

When it first started misfiring, I replaced the MAF sensor, air filter, plugs and plug wires, and it ran perfectly until about a month later when it started happening again, but then it went away again. It went through this cycle a good 3 or 4 times over the course of about 8 months. Check engine light came on and it threw a code for low input to MAF, P0102. I’m thinking it could be the wiring that’s going bad but I also think my MAF sensor could be bad too.

I’m replacing the fuel filter today and I’m probably going to get a new MAF soon, but any other causes to my issue that you can think of, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Are you perchance using a K&N or other 'oiled' air filter? If so, maybe consider using less oil as it may be contaminating the MAF.
If the MAF has stuff on it, you can generally see the 'stuff' as a very small clot on the wire.
I think the wires may be somewhat questionable or the connectors/connection at the MAF. Take a close look, watching for chafed insulation, wires that have flexed a lot, and have broken some strands, or corrosion.
Have you looked at the spark plug wells, down where the actual plug screws into the head? If you have oil there, it will allow for misfire at idle and under acceleration. The cause would be bad cam cover gaskets around the plugs. They can harden and allow seepage. If you do have oil, the boots may need to be replaced as I don't think the dielectric works after being dipped in hot oil even if they are cleaned well.
tom

Ave345

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not sure what air filter but it sounds like a contaminated MAF or wiring could be the issue for me. I’ll be looking into a less oily filter too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals