• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Pulling the engine, what should I do?

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've got a 1991 4.0 4x4 with M5OD sitting in the driveway right now I'm working on for my grandson. It is a leaker! I power washed the engine and now I can see the valve cover gasket leaks so they are getting fixed first. The rear main seal is also leaking but I want to clean up that whole area before I tackle that mess. The rear main seal is $50! Evidently the crankshaft is so highly polished at the rear main that a regular seal won't keep it from leaking so the new seals come with a built in micro sleeve to solve the problem. You might want to start soaking all the nuts and bolts on the trans mount, drive shaft, and anything else you may have to remove to take the transfer case and transmission out with some kind of rust solvent so the job is easier when you decide to do it. Just go slow and map out what you want to do. It's easy to tear stuff apart--the hard part will be putting it back together correctly.

Canadian_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
i don't know for a 91, but i can tell for a 94 that you can't take the transmission out without removing the exhaust y-pipe or lifting up the body. Might take that into consideration. I know some people will say it can clear without, but having it done this week teached me that apparently my truck would'nt let it go! Measure everything

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Actually...we did, 4wd also. It would have been much easier without the Y pipe, but those bolts in the manifold we took one look at those and said "no way!"
i don't know for a 91, but i can tell for a 94 that you can't take the transmission out without removing the exhaust y-pipe or lifting up the body. Might take that into consideration. I know some people will say it can clear without, but having it done this week teached me that apparently my truck would'nt let it go! Measure everything

chewy012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Hey, uh, as I ponder the idea of rebuilding the 4.0 ohv some more,

What's the risk of the heads warping when you pull them off? Also, how well do the cam lobes hold up with good consistent maintenance?

Valves and springs generally ok to reuse?

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
I actually know the answer (I think) to this one! The heads don't Warp when you take them off, they warp if the engine ever overheated, and when you take them in to have the valves reworked they will check, I think it's called "decking"

Camshafts last at a very long time I believe, unless there's something very wrong with the engine like not using oil lol

chewy012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
I actually know the answer (I think) to this one! The heads don't Warp when you take them off, they warp if the engine ever overheated, and when you take them in to have the valves reworked they will check, I think it's called "decking"

Camshafts last at a very long time I believe, unless there's something very wrong with the engine like not using oil lol
Wait, you have to oil these things!?..... JK

Awesome, that's good news, thanks for the response.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals