• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My master plan

Waddaya think?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

2000fuelishdreams

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, my names Justin and I’m new to the forums. I’ve got a 2000 Ranger XLT 2wd with the 5 spd. After giving it some thought I’ve decided that I wanna take my mediocre truck and turn it into something of a sleeper. I’ve thought about a supercharger but what’s the point, you can only do so much with it. I’ve thought about nitrous…works but not efficient or economical. Bigger engine would be nice but that takes away from the effect I’m going for. I love pulling up to a Christmas tree and laying waste to Hondas and Neon’s in an unsuspecting truck, but with a bigger, louder engine, I can’t exactly do that easily.

So that leaves me with the thought of a turbo. I’m sure I won’t be the first to do it and I won’t be the last. Here’s my plan.

1. Rebuild the 3 liter with a refresher kit, nothing too exotic. Standard issue bolt-ons (intake, exhaust, blah, blah, blah)

2. Poly motor mounts and trans mount

3. Centerforce Dual Friction clutch, refaced flywheel.

4. I plan using an STS universal turbo kit; I figure that it’ll be the quickest easiest way to do it.

5. Upgraded fuel system and ignition system.

6. Get rid of the puny 7.5 axle and swap in a 9 inch out of an old Lincoln town car, has discs and should bolt up with minor modifications.

7. Drop the truck just enough to give it a menacing stance. Perhaps a slight rake.

Sounds kinda nuts to be pouring all this work into a ranger I know but I need a project and it’s a free truck. There are other misc. things I plan on doing but for now this is all I can think of. I’d appreciate constructive criticism and any help/info you guys feel like giving. Thanks for looking at my post fellas.

Southern3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, what a turd...
Transmission
Manual
If you have the cash and knowledge on how to do it, go for it.

Ditch the 9 inch though and swap in an 31 spline 8.8 out of and explorer, its almost a bolt in swap (gotta flip the spring perches) and an 8.8 is lighter and can handle as much power as you'll be able to throw at it.

2000fuelishdreams

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the tip man, I'll check into that. I have however decided to ditch rebuilding the engine. I spoke to several engine builders and they all say that with the boost I'll be shooting for (7-10 psi) it'll have no problems holding up with the turbo set up the way it will be. One even told me I could spray the hell out of it and it wouldnt make a difference. He said it helps that its a flex fuel engine because its built for high octane and high cylinder pressures. The 8.8 idea sounds stout, I've heard of it before but I worry about the C clip design, I know I can get a C clip eliminator kit but how well will they hold up? on 7-10 psi I should be pushing roughly 300 horse, or so they say, couple that with sticky tires and some nitrous for kicks, I don't wanna break it.

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
For that money and what you'd get for selling it you could buy a 4.0 ranger and be happy.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I'd be happier with a stock 3.0 than a supercharged 4.0.:icon_hornsup: The turbo 3.0 sounds awesome to me. Not many people have done it, and I like it when people make a "sleeper" out of an "underdog" engine. The 3.0 is a very good engine. I can't wait to see the progress. By the way what transmission will you be using? I don't know if the M50d will handle alot of abuse with 300 horse. You may want to check into this:

http://rogueperformance.com/t5install.html

Also even a 28 spline 8.8 will be able to hadle the power you'll be dealing with. That's a complete bolt in. No mods. A 31 spline will be better though because it has disc brakes. But a 31 spline axle makes the ring and pinion, carrier, etc. the weak spot of the axle. But with the 28 spline, the shaft would break before the carrier if any breakage would occur. I'd personaly rather break a shaft.

2000fuelishdreams

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've done something like this before. I had a 1988 merkur XR4Ti that I popped the 2.3 turbo in and I had a beater 1987 sable with the 3.0 in. I got bored and did the swap within the span of a weekend and everyone told me that the 3.0 wasn't worth the iron it was made with, oh how wrong they all were. Just swapped a few things around and volia, a sick car was born. I thought the 2.3T was powerful but damn, I thought i was driving a fox body with the 3.0 in it, I had traction issues, lol. Thanks Ranger44 for the tip, I wasn't for sure about the T5 swap as far as the shifter. I'll keep you all updated as I go along.

2.8broncoII

Reaction score
have you thought into what the computers gunna think about the boost? prolly gunna need to send you computer out for tunning. let me know how it turns out though!!

Half Nuts

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Please don't take this personally, but I think you're kind of being an idiot. the 3.0 has some power potential, but unless you've got serious, mad money to blow on this project, you're better off with any of the numerous engine swaps that are tried-and-true. To take a line from Rougeperformance.com: "How Fast do you want to spend?" If you really want to make this thing a Honda-killer, my guess is you'll need at least eight grand to get started with turbo, fuel system, drivetrain, electronics and engine work.
But, if you've got it, enjoy proving me wrong!
I know I'd love to see it.

2000fuelishdreams

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Why take tried and true when I can be different? If someone can take a 2.3 lima blocked engine and make it out perform most 5.0s, whose to say a 3.0 couldn't? I take nothing anyone says personally, it doesn't bother me. Right now as far as the computer goes, I've talked to Jet and they say no problemo, we got ya covered. Fuel system is easy, all I really need is a bigger pump and slightly bigger injectors. Driveline is easy too, I just got a line on a 8.8 with disc's for 200 bucks, a T5 world class trans for 150, and a local driveline shop is hooking me up with a custom driveshaft. The engine work I don't even need, it'll hold with the boost I'll be running. And finally the turbo set-up, local exhaut shop is mandral bending it up for me and making my flange for the T3/T4, gotta love livin in a small town and having real good friends right? No worries fellas, I got this. I'll keep you guys posted, I just got my computer back from HP, thats another long story there.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Sweet!! Can't wait to see results.

Half Nuts

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Well, if you've got a dream, follow it, I say. Be that as it may, I'm still going to be the voice of reason, or perhaps the voice of "You're insane."
Also, I'd hate to see you get all kinds of invested in this project only to discover that, say, a T5 won't bolt up to a 3.0 Vulcan motor... At least, I don't think it will. Last I heard, the stocker is the only trans there is that'll bolt up to that motor, as if they were custom made for each other.
Also, I agree that the motor is by far stout enough to handle all the boost you could want, but if it were my project, I would at least take the time to get the heads ported/polished, a multi-angle valve job and get my lower intake match-ported. Compared to the cost of a custom turbo setup, this alone might make more power/$ in the long run. Furthermore, this: What do you plan to do about the throttle body? The stock piece is almost too small to flow enough for a mild street-build application, say nothing about boost! You'll almost certainly need to find a way of increasing the size of the upper intake manifold/TB inlet... perhaps revert to the older all-aluminum style so you've got room for modding? I honestly don't know.
These little technical problems are what had me wanting for an old 3.0SHO motor myself...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals