• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No fire! 93 ranger splash 4x4

johnnycash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
pull my finger

Last edited:

The_Epsicle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Pushrod V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
All hail the mighty ziptie!
Do not put 93 octane fuel in your Ranger! It was not designed to run on 93 octane it was designed to run on 87, you can buy 87 without ethanol at most gas stations if you dont want to use the ethanol added. Lucas is a brand name not a specific additive, what did you put in your tank? I would guess your rattle is the heat shield without looking at it, my advice is cut it off(the heat shield not the cat). As for your spark plugs, did you gap them correctly? That could cause lots of problems.

EDIT: My guess is it's a coincidence, put the proper octane in your tank and make sure your plugs are gapped correctly and see if it goes away. If he took a glob of goop from the intake manifold then the idle sensor he replaced was the IAC valve (Idle Air Control), it probably needed to be cleaned not replaced since they run like $70 but there's no way of knowing anymore. 94,000 miles and you needed the fuel pump replaced? You said yourself the car started, the filter I could see but what reason did he have for replacing the pump? How well do you know this guy? If I didn't know any better I'd say he was trying to pad his pockets by selling excess parts, unless there were other symptoms we haven't heard. Not trying to sound insulting but I don't know the situation or the man and I'm just trying to make sure you don't lose money over stuff that's working fine.

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
^^ I agree...I think he covered all the bases but left out something important...if you tell your mechanic your name is Johnny Cash...we used to have ATMs in Canada called Johnny Cash and they could make you feel right rich if you pushed the right buttons...but a mechanic knows there is nothing more precious to us than our trucks so we are suckers for them playing the right tune...

Sounds sporadic so could indicate any of those replaced parts are on the way out...now that you've had them replaced and the issue persists I would ask the mechanic to check for codes to see if anything has been going on behind the scenes...

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Cat rattle, when cold get under there and give it a few slaps to see what is rattling. Most likely it is the heat shield. You might find a way to wedge a screw into here or there that would stop the rattle. OR you may find the noise to be from the inside. If so replace the thing.
Won't start, but does now. Wait till it doesn't start again and trouble shoot while it isn't starting. That is the only way I know to find what might be wrong. Also you just MIGHT have repaired it already.
Big JIm

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals