• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help with lowering 4/5

Sotzen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2003 Ford Range
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2003 ranger xlt 2.3l 2wd I bought recently. I have always drove cars and hate the height and huge ugly gap in wheel well. I have seen the DJM kits and belltech. I dont wanna spend 500-600$ I understanff you can flip the axle for a 4 inch drop in the rear is there a how to on this? and as for the front what would be the best ??

I want atleast a 3/4 drop nothing more than a 4/5

HELP and suggestions or links would be greatly appreciated. Im new to the ranger family so hello:bye:

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to The Ranger Station, man.

DJM's 4/5 kit is the most well known kit for that year of ranger. There isn't much else you can do except for coils and shackle flips (not as much drop) or air bags (not as practical for daily drivers).

Search through the forums; you'll find LOADS of information that will help you out.

Sotzen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2003 Ford Range
Transmission
Automatic
I did some searching and will continue to see what else i can dig up. I just wanted to know if there was a cheaper way. I cant find a HOW TO do the axle flip. I understand the xel is going below the leaf springs but I would like to see a step by step to see how the process is accomplished. Is it cheaper to by just the 50$ flip kit for the back. to get a 4-5inch drop in rear? is that the correct amount of drop<<<< And then 2inch drop springs and 2 inch drop control arms. is it cheaper to buy seperatlely or the whole DJM kit. And i can ride the shocks/struts that are already on there right?

I bought this truck for work its a excellent truck runs beautifully and I have started to love it. Always been a car tuner. I want the drop so its rides similar to a car but its a small truck. The first thing I want is the drop then rims amd tires eventually with a rollpan and bedcover.

Thanks for helping out so far Can you answer these few more questions before i jump on it. Really dont wanna have to spend over 500$ just to lower it. Also i dont wanna have to C-notch it. I was reading about that.. So basically i wanna know whats the best affordable way to go about this. I have founf flip kit for around 50$ then 2' drop springs for 120$ if I can get 2' drop control armsfor under 200$ I would still get it lowered for under 400$ which is good to me. Will the alignment on the car still be good and as far as ride quality i assume it would be still good beacause im not cutting springs or heating springs or none of that junk ricer bullshit...

Thanks again buddy

If anyone else has suggestions or comments or even links or descriptions on HOW TO for the rear flip it would be gratlyl appreciated and help alot. Im not just talking about doing this like most people I;m eager to do this withthin the next few weeks as the gap and ride height is extremely bothersome

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Here are your options.
Rear:
Axle flip (requires a flip kit)- 5 inches of rear drop
Hanger flip (requires hardware to replace the factory rivets)- 2 inches
Bell tech drop leaf springs (requires new leaf springs)- 3 inches
You can also get 3 inches of drop by adding 2 inch lift shackles to the flip kit, which would give you 3 inches of drop with better ride quality and load capacity than the drop leafs.

Front:
Cut your stock springs (do not drop more than 3 inches this way)- drop depends how much you cut off
DJM drop springs - 2inches
Bell tech drop coils - 3 inches
DJM control arms- 2 inches of drop

That's pretty much it. You can mix and match a lot of it depending on how much drop you want, and what your budget is. In my opinion, the dim 4/5 is the best quality, and final result. I've had it in my truck and love it. Pic for reference:

Any front drop will require an alignment. More than 2 inches will require adjustable camber bolts, and drop shocks too.

Last edited:

Sotzen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2003 Ford Range
Transmission
Automatic
That helped alot. Thanks. Love the way your ranger is Very nice.

I've decided I want to flip kit the rear and get a 5 inch drop. I do not carry any heavy loads at all so I'm not worry about that.

As for the front I want to do the DJM coil springs and the DJM control arms and get the front dropped 4 inches

Then as your saying I will need the alignment kit as well so it can be aligned correctly RIGHT?

I need to view a HOW TO install flip kit I understand what is being done but dontunderstand step by step what needs to happen IF anyone can help on that. Then this would complete this thread.

I assume it is cheaper to just buy the kit so going to go that way then. defiantly dont wanna cut the springs I'm scared to have a bouncy ass ride...

Thanks alot for the help

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Then as your saying I will need the alignment kit as well so it can be aligned correctly RIGHT?
Yes. you'll need to get it aligned, and will need camber eccentric bolts to get it within spec. Most alignment shops will offer them, but you can get them from Ford, or auto parts stores like NAPA. Also, don't forget new shocks.

As for the flip kit, it's pretty straight forward, and should come with instructions if you buy new parts. Basically, you unbolt the axle from the leaf springs and driveshaft. Move it to the top of the axle using the parts from the flip kit to hold it in place, and reattach the leaf springs and driveshaft. Just make sure the pinion angle doesn't get to crazy, or you'll have vibration issues.

slammedxonair

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 and 00
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Support the site Sponsors! http://shop.illusivefabrications.com/lowering-kits/

your other options with a 98+ ranger are a 2/2, 2/3, 3/3, 3/5, 4/5, 5/5, 5/6, 5/7 Anything more than a 5" rear flip kit drop and you will need a bolt in notch. I do not advise adding a notch on the extended cabs unless you are willing to clearance the rear cab crossmember and tunnel the extended cab floor for the drive shaft or, install a 2pc drive shaft.

Also the comment above about air ride not practical for a daily driver is a false statement. As along as everything is installed correctly and you have good parts there is no problem with air on a daily. Lot of factory vehicles come with air ride and I have been driving bagged trucks every day for the past 9 years though the snow and everything.

Sotzen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2003 Ford Range
Transmission
Automatic
I do not wanna notch,. And i want a 4/5 its perfect for my looks. I will check out your store and see what you got and compare prices. As for air bag suspension I'm not gonna spend that much. No way. Just a good quality 4/5 drop that rides good with satisfy me completely.

Thanks mucho

CRW11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Here are your options.
Rear:
Axle flip (requires a flip kit)- 5 inches of rear drop
Hanger flip (requires hardware to replace the factory rivets)- 2 inches
Bell tech drop leaf springs (requires new leaf springs)- 3 inches
You can also get 3 inches of drop by adding 2 inch lift shackles to the flip kit, which would give you 3 inches of drop with better ride quality and load capacity than the drop leafs.

Front:
Cut your stock springs (do not drop more than 3 inches this way)- drop depends how much you cut off
DJM drop springs - 2inches
Bell tech drop coils - 3 inches
DJM control arms- 2 inches of drop

That's pretty much it. You can mix and match a lot of it depending on how much drop you want, and what your budget is. In my opinion, the dim 4/5 is the best quality, and final result. I've had it in my truck and love it. Pic for reference:

Any front drop will require an alignment. More than 2 inches will require adjustable camber bolts, and drop shocks too.
What is your tire ratio?

green77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
What wheel size and offset are you running?

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals