• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What kind of hitch do you use?

hujh2012

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I just bought my 4th. Ranger, an 08 with 2.3, 5 spd manual.

I'm going to throw a hitch on it, leaning towards a class III bolt on type. I know it's only rated for 1500 lbs, which is fine...I'll never tow anything over that because I have an F250 for my heavier towing duties. I just want to throw a class III on it for peace of mind. My trailer would not be level if I were to use a ball on the bumper, it stick up to high so...it has to come down...thus, another reason for installing a hitch.

My question is, what kind of hitch did some of you throw on your trucks? I've got concerns about access to my spare tire (which is the cheesie compact). Also, the frame is (for the lack of a better term) kinda "bent" down around the spare tire area appearing to give it room to fit under there. I'm concerned that if I buy a class III hitch, the "bend" in the frame around the spare tire might interfere with a hitch bolting up correctly because it sticks down below the bottom of the frame.

discount gucci clothing

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
i ran a 3/4 uhaul good for 6 or so thousand lbs. buy the hitch for the truck, any hitch 98+ will fit on there. spare tire doesnt bother the hitch, or vise versa.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
III/IV Reese hitch on mine, no issues with the spare tire.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A step bumper is good enough for what you need, and it won't interfere with the tire. You can get a bolt-on receiver for the bumper. Maybe that is what you were contemplating.

You can generally get a simple frame hitch for $100 for a truck as common as a Ranger. If it's in the way, maybe you can down-size the spare tire.

clvanhorn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
reese class 3 or 4... made for a fullsize chevy, adapted to fullsize ford, then cut down by my buddy to fit a ranger, then sold to me. bolted right on to existing holes and haven't had any problems with it so far

jeffw920

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i had a hidden hitch on my last ranger, i liked it better than the factory ford ones you can get. I think you'll find that any hitch you buy has to "drop" down some to get the receiver tube underneath the bumper so the spare tire cover is not an issue.

Kirk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
A step bumper is good enough for what you need, and it won't interfere with the tire. You can get a bolt-on receiver for the bumper. Maybe that is what you were contemplating.
Not to hijack the thread but this is exactly what I was needing to ask about. I need to get bolt on step deck hitch/receiver. I drive a '02 Ranger w/3.0. Should I get a Class 2 or Class 3? I know 2 is plenty enough for my weight, I mean 2 is 3,500 right? But, does it make sense to get a 3 just for the heck of it? The step bumper isn't even rated for 3, is it?

:icon_confused:

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Not to hijack the thread but this is exactly what I was needing to ask about. I need to get bolt on step deck hitch/receiver. I drive a '02 Ranger w/3.0. Should I get a Class 2 or Class 3? I know 2 is plenty enough for my weight, I mean 2 is 3,500 right? But, does it make sense to get a 3 just for the heck of it? The step bumper isn't even rated for 3, is it?

:icon_confused:
Yes, just get the Class III or better. It's not that much more $$$ than the weaker hitch and you have an even better safety bubble. Say something turns out to be a little heavier than you expected (like 500lbs heavier), bam, you're screwed. Maybe not necessarily, or right away, but for $20 (or less) more you'd have a setup that is guaranteed to work with the extra weight. Trust me, it happens.

And the main reason you get a specific bolt on hitch is because the bumper isn't rated for that much weight. Auto companies are pretty much required by law to design bumpers for impacts, not towing.

Kirk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, just get the Class III or better. It's not that much more $$$ than the weaker hitch and you have an even better safety bubble. Say something turns out to be a little heavier than you expected (like 500lbs heavier), bam, you're screwed. Maybe not necessarily, or right away, but for $20 (or less) more you'd have a setup that is guaranteed to work with the extra weight. Trust me, it happens.
Ok, but the problem now is finding one that works! The bottom of my step bumper is not flat so the plate won't butt up against it. Is there a brand or some kind of bolt on reciever that will work??

:annoyed: :icon_confused:

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I use Hidden Hitch class III. It is bolt on but it bolts to the frame. I think the holes in the frame were already there so I didn't have to drill any holes. Mine is the one with made from the round tube and tucks up in there nicely without being so noticeable. I can use a 31" tire for a spare but it is tight.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Ok, but the problem now is finding one that works! The bottom of my step bumper is not flat so the plate won't butt up against it. Is there a brand or some kind of bolt on reciever that will work??

:annoyed: :icon_confused:
I'm not sure I follow you. The aftermarket receiver hitch doesn't bolt to the bumper at all, it's all on the frame.

Those holes on the sides are what hold it all to the frame.

HAHA! Finally found a picture of a Reese for a Ranger.

Last edited:

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Looks familiar.

Here's mine.

I plan on putting a pintle ball combo on it when I mount it back up.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Don't bother with that. It's only merit is changing the height of the ball easier and the size of the ball easier. It'll put even more leverage on your bumper (bumper will hold LESS weight) as it puts the ball further out past the bumper and more leverage for the trailer to put on it.

That kind of hitch is meant for a commercial flatbed type application, where they have a large steel bumper or brace on the rear that it would bolt/weld to.

If you're going to use that you might as well just use the bumper. It would actually be better.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I bought a 2500 Chevy from a guy who used it to tow a 32' cabin cruiser--over 20,000# weight--and it had a step bumper with that type of hitch. I'm not suggesting that anyone do that, I'm saying that the bolt-on hitch isn't the weak link. I would like to see the bumper you plan to attach it to.

I don't think everyone needs a frame hitch. I towed a Casita travel trailer behind my Mazda pickup using the bumper for years. I prefer a frame hitch, but it may well not be required for what you are doing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals