• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

need some help with the 302 swap

Bronco2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
347 STROKER
Transmission
Automatic
So I blew another head gasket yesterday so iv had it with the 2.9 and wanting a 302. iv been able to find a lot of info about everything but having trouble getting the straight forward answer. my first real issue is the transmission, iv read some about using a c4(I have the auto overdrive) and I need to know how to make the c4 work. like where to get what I need and what's everything I will need to make it work. also where to get all my parts and everything else for the swap. I know James duff has a lot of things for this but everything they have is high price so I am looking for other sources.

the more info I can get the better!! thank you!

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The easiest and least costly solution is likely to find a crashed '96 or '97 Explorer V8 and move the complete engine/transmission/ECU into the B2.

Super tight but it'll fit. Think about the only thing that's a snag under the hood is the air box if you've got A/C and making an air intake tube to get the air filter/MAF plumbed to the throttle body.

If you opt to carb it, the Expo 4R70W won't work but the Expo FEAD is still your best bet for alternator, water pump and P/S pump.

There are less expensive engine mount options needing only minor mods to a pair of 'Stang convertible mounts.

Avoid the later Expo V8's, they'll have PATS for ignition key security and GT40P heads that will limit your header options.

There's a great write up on a Expo V8 transplant into a B2 at:

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147302

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
C4 is a 3-speed automatic used from mid-'60's to mid-'80's.
No computer control needed
You need one from a 289, 302 or 351W or C(not M) vehicle so bolt pattern will match your 302, it is called the Ford Small block Windsor pattern.

The AOD is a 4-speed, OD added, and last trans that didn't require computer control, might be a better choice for a daily driver since it has OD.
It was used throughout the '80's on most small block V8s Ford models

AOD-E came out in the early '90's and required a computer

Check local craigslist or wrecking yards

If you want or have a 4x4 then you will need a C4 or AOD trans from a 4x4 and it's transfer case if possible

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
All you really need to make a C4 or the similar C5 work is a cooler setup, a vacuum line and a shifter. I used a B&M Unimatic cable shifter, looks kind of similar to the stock floorshifter. It works on a bunch of automatics, pretty sure it will work on the AOD if you go that route too. You will need a little wiring for the neutral start switch for your truck to work with it though.

If you find the tailhousing off of a Ranger or BII with a C5 you can have that installed on a C4 and use the stock transfercase you already have. You will need a different linkage if manual t-case (let me know, I have a page about what works somewhere) The C5 I got has had the back end switch so my stock 1350M mounted perfectly. The V6 C5 has fewer clutches in it but can be rebuild to V8 spec. Whatever you find the bellhousing, flexplate, engine seperator plate, torque converter and starter all have to be for the same tooth count. C4/C5 can vary 147t (or thereabouts IIRC), 157t and 164t. The bigger the more common, the smaller the better the fit in a Ranger engine bay (especially without a bodylift. AOD's are all 164t.

I used the foxbody convert/SN95 mounts and would recommend going the V6 mount with plates route. I am unimpressed by the lack of adjustability and holding power of the single stud in a slot. If you are good with the torch/plasma cutter like Ford when you cut the notches you may be ok heightwise... but you have virtually no adjustment side to side. I just spent 3 weeks off an on during monsoon season adjusting mine so the engine can't shift and let the oil pan rub on the crossmember...

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals