• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Did I just put the flexplate on backwards?!?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you put the trans in gear and truck didn't move, the the front(main) pump was broken when you bolted the trans to the block without first seating the torque converter to the pump, the "push, turn and click" seating.

So yes, trans needs to be pulled apart to replace the pump, or get a used trans, your choice.

Dweano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Alright sounds good thanks. The pump is pretty easy to replace no? It's the first thing after the torque converter right?

So let's talk more about seating. The TC slides onto the shaft and then you turn it some more and it slides a bit more...is that the pump engaging? Or do I need to turn more? Or push and turn?

Next time I bolt up my tranny it would be nice for it to be the last time haha

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
pull it off and take it to a shop....or get a known good one.

the torque converter could be destroyed as well. these are easier to put in then the aod....this one just goes on the stator feeling wise and the flats in the pump. the aod can be a bit more of a pia due to the direct drive shaft.....a weakness the 70 dont have.

you need to pick up, rotate and push the converter in...mark where the pump drive flats are on the front and start with it almost lined up with the flats in the pump....you should be able to see it with a flashlight in there...then measure from a straight edge to see if its back far enough.....i dont remember off hand but i can check maybe tomorrow one of on units at the shed.

but measuring what you have to the flex plat face from the block mounting surface and adding at least a 16th should indicate a good seat.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You pretty much need to disassemble the trans to replace front pump.
Have a look here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-L71-udS_g

It also gives you the idea of how the front pump and torque converter line up and "click" into place, although this is in reverse, as the front pump assembly is rotated to line up with stationary torque converter.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
that is good info for one of those little sissy transmissions. good vid but it reminded me of something i also failed to do... they should have addressed seal etiquette. average joe watching that could really get in trouble fawking up the seal.

but all of that stupid shit they had to do for that turd.... it dont apply to the 4r70w.

lubricating the snout of the converter and gently turning it home are aspects that need to be done.

and you dont have to disassemble the whole unit to change the pump on a 4r70...just keep the big index washer and use a fresh seal, glue the washer on with petroluem jelly....greasing the snout with it is good as well....you can pop it loose laying on its pan, but stand it on end bell housing up to install and fully remove. i use 1 foot sections of threaded rod with nuts and washers on the end with my 1 1/8 and 1 1/4 deep sockets for slide hammers....if you look careful at the pump holes you will see the two that are threaded to do that... you can pull it and gently set it back with those...

take the pump and converter to the shop for inspection.

Dweano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Right on thanks. I am learning lots here haha. Why would the TC be bad? If the actual metal is good then the TC should be good no? I have another one from my other tranny? Should I just use that instead? How do they even go bad? They have clutches right?

Anyways I am going to buy a new pump tonight. I think I need that for sure. And besides..a rebuild pump can never hurt

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
watch this. all of it. twice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2fRCITXn4o

if you smashed any of that shit....you can see where its bad.

likely you are fine. best to have the pieces inspected at a shop. 30-50 bux and dropping it off or lure a guy from th shop with beer and 40 bux to pull it apart and inspect it for you and talk you through it.

Last edited:

Dweano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Well I finally got it all back together...an it works! All four forward gears and reverse...haven't had that in over a year! I would like to thank everyone for the immense amount of knowledge I have been taught and the patience with putting up with my bumbling mechanics and then subsequent whiny forum threads haha. Now that I can actually drive it I just gotta deal with that darn oil leak!

This video I found extremely helpful...especially the part where you should be able to wiggle the torque converter after it is all together. Which should guarantee nothing is binding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkH0GH0fQAc

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well done. You should be proud.

Dweano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks man. I am proud. I figured it was bound to work after enough parts and time got thrown into it haha. I feel like I have learned alot through this adventure too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals