• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

03 ranger v8 swap passenger mount

Big Puddin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
351 Windsor
Transmission
Automatic
Hi folks, been scouring internet and this forum and read all the conversion stuff and jumped in on a dead 2003 2wheel drive ranger supercab. Stock, it had a 3.0 and auto. I've inserted 83 econoline 351 Windsor and C-6 auto. Bought some thick plates off ebay for V-8 conversion, driver side fits great on stock 3.0 mount. Pass side not sitting down on the 2 threaded bolts.
Am I supposed to change passenger side frame/motor mount, is there one that has the 2 threaded bolts poking straight up that are an inch or so higher?
Or, do most folks weld up the slotted holes and make new ones closer in toward the block where this would sit down?
Been lucky so far, with HVAC removed and rubber inner fenderwells, have not had to remove or fold over any seams on firewall. C-6 clearing fine. Swapped econoline C-6 yoke to stock Ranger driveshaft, length great. Transmission mount even falling into place. Even stock column shift cable looks like I can weld a tab on backside of frame on driver side and bolt that to also.
My only hang up, FOR NOW, is trying to figure out why motor won't sit down on passenger side motor mount. Driver side perfect. Thanks, in advance, for your thoughts? Big Puddin

ford_ranger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If it's a coil spring ranger I believe you have to use 4.0 mounts with the plates, if it's an Edge model 5.0 explorer mounts will work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Puddin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
351 Windsor
Transmission
Automatic
I'd read that in the tech archives but it pertains to models before mine. It's 2003 with power rack and pinion. My motor mounts are both same part number for left and right. Driver side perfect, couldn't ask for any better. No amount of leverage or lifting up and down with cherry picker removing the 1" of distance I need removed.....

ford_ranger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well mines an 03 edge model and I used the 5.0 mounts and plates from the explorer I took the motor out of. They fit exactly the same but the edge model frame is exactly the same up front as the explorer. If you have a coil sprung regular 03 ranger they're gonna sit a little different. If you check the OBX headers post, my motor mounts are pictured on there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Any chance you forgot to remove the spacer under the left engine mount?

Very much a PITA since the coil spring on that side must come out to get the spacer out and the mount bolted to the frame rather than the spacer.

Also, the alignment pin on the mount is in a different spot than on the spacer so a new hole in the frame must be drilled.

2Krngr

Parts Hoarder
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Supercab
Make / Model
Stepside
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L GT40
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'd read that in the tech archives but it pertains to models before mine. It's 2003 with power rack and pinion. My motor mounts are both same part number for left and right. Driver side perfect, couldn't ask for any better. No amount of leverage or lifting up and down with cherry picker removing the 1" of distance I need removed.....
From 98-11 all the information pertaining to the frame applies to all models and years within that full range. Either it is a Coilspring frame or a Torsion bar frame, and some 2wd versions got the Torsion frame, but no 4wd ever got the Coilspring frame. All versions in the range have rack and pinion. Only the 97 and below i-beam suspension trucks had gearbox/linkage steering.

The motor mounts are the same left-to-right and are interchangeable, but the v8 swap plates are left-to-right specific as there is a step in one of them to align it correctly, which also must be installed in the proper orientation.

The v8 swap plates are made to be used with 4.0L motor mounts. The 3.0l mounts are not the same as the 4.0l.

A 2003 coilspring frame should have no mounting issues with the v8 conversion plates used w/ 4.0 mounts. If it is a torsion bar frame you just use the explorer's 5.0 mounts directly as stated above.

The seller RicksRangerz on ebay that is making the v8 swap plates for sale says in his listing "You can use 3.0 mounts with a little mod. Contact me if you'd like to know how." So there is obviously a trick to it, I am not sure, but you may want to contact him see if he can help. I assume his plates are the ones you are using??

Last edited:

Big Puddin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
351 Windsor
Transmission
Automatic
I missed removing the driver side motor mount spacer block. Part of what threw me was the truck was dead with no info as to what had been done. Someone had swapped in a 4.0 and mounts. So, wound up being dead semi-transplanted 4.0.
Anyhow, y'all got me on the path just waiting to see what rain is gonna do. I'm no longer duck hunting with a rake on this...
I could easily leave the spacer in place and drill the plate, and I'd have plenty of room for stock econoline fuel pump and oil filter and C6. But I can't help but think with the added weight of 351 I should get weight as low and far back as practical for handling.
Is it true my 03 would have 8.8" rear stock? My code says 3.73 open but I figured it was 7.5" but read differently?
Appreciate you folks I'm making progress.....

2Krngr

Parts Hoarder
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Supercab
Make / Model
Stepside
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L GT40
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Is it true my 03 would have 8.8" rear stock? My code says 3.73 open but I figured it was 7.5" but read differently?
Appreciate you folks I'm making progress.....

You truck could have came with a 8.8" or a 7.5", depended on which motor and/or cab type as to what it got.

What motor does your truck have and is it a supercab?

A 2wd 4-cyl would have a 7.5" open 3.73

A 4wd 4.0 would have a 8.8" open 3.73 (lsd optional)

A supercab 4.0 would have 8.8" open 3.2x or 3.55 (lsd optional)

The rear axles are very easy to identify if it is 7.5 or 8.8 by just looking under the back of the truck at the pumpkin.

Big Puddin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
351 Windsor
Transmission
Automatic
2 wheel drive 2003 supercab stock was 3.0 and overdrive auto. I know it's 3.73 according to the axle code on tag and its open differential but no idea if 8.8 or not.
Worked hard but got it sitting down on motor mounts, that was kinda rough.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals