• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0 economy

2Krngr

Parts Hoarder
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Supercab
Make / Model
Stepside
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L GT40
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks guys. Yes, power is the biggest reason, but i'm going to college an hour away this fall, so I will probably be visiting home often.......so if it would hurt my econemy, I wouldn't do it.
I'll look into older engines, but I might go for an Explorer engine. I've heard that with the Explorer engine mounts, it will nestle down in the engine bay like it was meant for it. And I can mod it from there.......right now a stiff headwind means 4th gear for me, so a stock Explorer engine will be an unbelievable upgrade.
And I don't think i'lll ever be able to go back to an auto.....i'd rather rip out my entire seat for the shifter if need be, I want a manual.
Is there any good reason not to convert to an in line pump? Seems like that would be easier if it ever fails......don't have to pull the entire bed that way.
If I get a better tach, fuel pressure, and vacuum gauge, (and keep the stock ones) am I missing anything as far as gauges go? I like to know what's going on in the engine, I know that might be a bit much, but every once in a while I decide that I am going to do something for very little reason, and nobody can talk me out of it.
I wouldn't mess with an inline fuelpump, I've had them in the past, super loud and not worth the extra wiring and plumbing to convert your already convenient intank pump setup. Intank pumps last long over 100,000miles with no sweat, so just put a new oem/bosch explorer pump in your tank when you do the swap and call it a day.

FWIW the ranger bed is hilariously easy to remove. only takes 15 minutes, 3 screws for the gas filler neck, t55 the bed bolts, reach under and unplug the taillight harness from the frame and lift it off with two friends, one on each wheels well and someone in the back.

Don't even need to take out the taillights, rear bumper, or tires. If it's a splash/stepside you only need one friend as it's so light. Well as you can access the the pump without even taking it off, if you just get it up on a lift or high enough on stands, you take out the 3 filler neck screws, and then two bolts on the holding straps and it will tilt in towards the driveshaft and you can reach up and pull the pump assembley right out.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
heck, buy a older 4cyl Toyota Tercel or Camry for the MPG and commute, leave the Ranger home :)

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
1992 XLT extra cab, 4X4, 5.0 with GT40P heads, stock valves and lifters, HO cam, Explorer intake, stock cast iron manifolds, 3.73 gearing, 33 inch tires, single 2.5 inch exhaust to the diesel 3.5 inch muffler and tail pipe.

15-16 MPG :sad:

Kurt.king870s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know it's way easier than a fullsize truck bed, but my t55 bolts are a real b**** to get out. I put anti-seize on them the first time I pulled it, and they came out hard the second time......just something I thought I might want to avoid, but if the in-tank pumps are that much better, than it will be worth it.
I would get a car, but i'don't miss the Ole ranger....and I think I can get a 5.0 cheaper than a reliable old car, and that would put me closer to my long term goal with it (dedicated offroader) but if I find something, I might go for it.

And thanks for that thread Elutheros, i'lll check that out now.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
The '86 in my signature below gets around 13-14 no matter what. It would probably do a little better with an overdrive gear, but it's fine the way it is.

Nightbiker07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, I read a few pages back through the V8 swap threads, and gave up looking for some economy numbers on the 5.0. What kind of MPGs have you guys been getting?

Please post if you have efi or carburetor, and the mods you have that may have helped/hindered economy.
Thanks
I get 22MPG HWY. Cam, roller rocker conversion, cat-back exhaust (currently installing headers) and a very nice SCT tune from 5-star tuning.

I have driven this from Ohio to South Carolina, so I have extensive highway driving. this is also running 70-80MPH the entire time :beer:

CalobDangerRanger85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
I am running a 91 302 with a Holley 770 with an aod automatic 3.73 gears with 30s getting 18 and 22 on nice days

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals