• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 been sitting15 years

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Like the title says I have a 92 4.0 5 speed 4x4 ranger that's been sitting for 15 years. I put oil in on to of the Pistons and let that soak for coupe weeks and broke the engine loose. Tried to start it last night and I'm thinking i have a valve stuck open because it blows air out the intake once every revolution of the engine. I also think I dumped bad gas into the tank not knowingly so I think that's the reason it won't start it has tried to start but just won't take off. I think I'm going to pull it down the road to see if it will start that way. My question is if i do have a valve stuck should I pull the valve cover offand free it or hope that a little heat in the engine once it does start running will free it up?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Here is a pic by the way!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I think I would pull the valve covers and check visually. Also, if you suspect fuel to be an issue I would use a little 2+2 gum cutter in the intake to get it started before trying to pull start it like that.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
4.0l OHV is a non-interference engine so fully open valve will not touch piston at TDC.

Yes, if engine sat that long with that valve open then it may not just close on its own with spring pressure, pulling valve cover would be needed.
Rocker for that valve will be loose unless it is pushed down by cam.

It may start to move freely after it is released, but it may just start to stick open again.

Siphon out "bad" gas as much as possible then add 5 gallons of good gas, and Seafoam or similar fuel system cleaner in correct amount to the 5 gallons.
If you have a bicycle tire pump remove its hose and screw it in to the fuel rails schrader valve(pressure test valve), put the other end of that hose in a container to catch the gas.
Cycle key on and off, fuel pump will run 2 seconds each time key is turned on, repeat until gas "smells good"

You can add fuel manually to the intake, to get it to start, that also tests if spark is working and timed correctly

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I've got the bed off because I obviously had to replace the fuel pump. I actually used a shop vac on the tank to get everything out before I put the other bad gas in lol. I will repeat this once again this time using good gas lol. For the record I put in around 3/4 gallon of watered down fuel sitting in a unknown gas can then 2 gallons of good gas out of my boat fuel tank.
As far as timing goes the truck was running when the lady parked it so I don't think it has jumped time. I did take a air hose and blow off the crank sensor just to make sure it wasn't getting an inaccurate reading from rust deposits sticking to the magnet. Going out of town for inlaws t-giving dinner today so maybe Monday I'll be able to work on it again. Thanks for the help guys. I'll keep u posted!

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Got a noid light test kit and checked my fuel injectors and they are indeed getting pulse so I'm guessing they are froze up from sitting so long. I believe I have a used set lined up from a family member though! Ordered some injector o rings also..guessing those will need replaced.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
the injectors are probably getting pulsed, but that does not mean that they are injecting fuel.

the fuel in the injectors themselves has probably turned to varnish and has likely "glued" the pintle in the closed position.

five years is quite enough to glue injectors shut, they can be "unstuck" but this takes patience and determination...

Not to mention taking the injectors out of the engine and mounting them into a spare lower intake and circulatinf a mixture of acetone and injector cleaner (Techron) through the fuel rail and Injectors while manually providing "pulses and visually observinfg the spray pattern...

you COLD simply buy new injectors, but at $40 each... you might try a set of junkyard injectors from a motor that hasn't been sitting as long...

(Guess based on inspection sticker)

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
SHE'S ALIVE!!!!

So I did get it started after the injector swap. It has some pretty loud drivetrain noises but I believe that is due to the stuck valve or valves. Also the oil pressure doesn't show anything... I know those two problems go hand in hand but I changed the oil and the oil in the oil filter was warm so it had to be circulating. Hoping like heck those valves will free up once I let it idle and get some good heat built up. It was midnight when i got it running and I didn't want to make the neighbors too awful mad at me :) I'll keep you posted!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well....after letting it run for a couple minutes i found out the oil pump is NOT pumping and the engine is getting water in the oil. :( it was over full on oil when i got the truck and i thought it was from the last guy dumping oil in on top of the Pistons but it appears to be a blowed head gasket or cracked head. Assuming the oil pump was submersed in water for 15 years and killed the pump...i need a new motor now :/

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
For loosening gum and goo in the lubrication system I recommend "Marvel Mystery oil"
added to fresh 10-W30 and run it gently for several temperature cycles, then drain and repeat...

Beware MMO will put all the goo and glop inside the engine back into circulation and that can clog the pickup... if that happened shut it down and drain the pan and immediately add a couple of quarts of MMO to the pan and let the pickup screen soak in it overnight.

AD

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
I certainly hope you were kidding about using a shop vac on the fuel tank??? I once knew someone that did this. R.I.P.

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I certainly hope you were kidding about using a shop vac on the fuel tank??? I once knew someone that did this. R.I.P.
Lol...bro you could drink this stuff it was so weak (kidding). It was 15 year old gas so no worries [emoji41]

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
Whew! Good news. We sure don't need to lose any more forum members.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals