• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Maybe a stupid question...

Mr. Tarkanian

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
But when my 2.9 blows, I'd like to replace it with a carb'd 5.0L and a standard trans. Which is better for the swap, a ZF or a T5? Also, I prefer cable-controlled clutches. Can a T5 clutch cable be adapted to the factory clutch pedal in an RBV? I've not COMPLETELY ruled out an auto trans, but close to it...

Thanks all.

Last edited:

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
that is highly dependent on what you plan to do with the truck. out of those options i would go for the zf. if you are open to more options, i would consider a np435. they have an unmatched 1st and reverse ratio and are damn near unbreakable.

Mr. Tarkanian

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Ok sorry, maybe I should give a little more background info. I'm not extremely well versed in manual transmissions, so hopefully you guys will take it easy on me. I'm just looking for something that is DURABLE and reasonable on fuel. My 2.9/A4LD gets around 20 mpg and has been pretty reliable, but is showing its age quick. If I'm going to dump money in it, I would rather have a carb'd 302, a standard trans/trans case/manual hubs just for simplicity (and coolness :headbang:).

I'm not totally against an auto, but I don't know how much I trust an AOD (plus I'm very uncomfortable with the TV cable), and the C4's/C6's dont offer overdrive. Plus i've heard horror stories about them starving for fluid when off-angle. I'm not really concerned with horsepower so much as durability and reliability.

The bronco doesn't get trail ridden very often, and even then it's pretty mild. Probably wont ever go any bigger than 32 inch rubber. I'm really open to ANYTHING so long as it's simple to install/maintain, reliable, and will keep me above the single digit mpg's.

Last question, will a regular RBV trans case bolt in behind these heavy duty transmissions, and will the shifters be in the correct location in the floorboard?

Thanks again.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
yOU SHOULD NOT WORRY ABOUT A PROPERLY BUILT/GOOD CONDITION AOD. They are used in high horsepower situations all the time and hold up. A T5 involves work to get it to operate in a 4WD situation.

Mr. Tarkanian

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
How difficult is it to adapt an AOD to a BW1350 manual Tcase and the factory BII column shifter? That would save me some work by not having to swap in a clutch system.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The ZF is a big transmission.....if you use it you may have to message the transmission tunnel. If you are wnating a 5 speed I would go with the M5OD-R2 and the BW 1356 out of a full size truck. But like Pete said I would not be afraid of the AOD either. The 4x4 application of the T5 is only found in a mid 80's jeep (if you can find it at all). Although the tail housing will bolt to the main body of the T5 you would still need the main shaft to complete the build.

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I've NEVER had a problem with my AOD in my 86 F150. Shifted great every time with a mild FI302 and 40's. If you DO want a manual tho, defiitely look into the NP435 if you're offroading with this truck. It has the "granny" gear, but shifts like a damn dumptruck. Virtually bulletproof to boot.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Just throwing this out there, M5OD-R2.

I know it violates the cable clutch, but it will work with the 5.0 and won't be hard to get the shifter close enough.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The NP 435 was originally made for 4x4s with no low range.So what you have really is a 3 speed with a granny low 1st.I have a friend with one on an EB it goes nice and slow. There very tough but big space between gears.

I had a AOD in my 95 F-150 didn't own the truck to long but it worked real good.I'm with you though given a choice i'll always take a manual.The guys I talked to at the time were getting a little better fuel numbers with the M50D R2.The R2 has an overdrive with nice even gear ratios no dump truck shifting.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
For your plans with the truck,

The bronco doesn't get trail ridden very often, and even then it's pretty mild. Probably wont ever go any bigger than 32 inch rubber. I'm really open to ANYTHING so long as it's simple to install/maintain, reliable, and will keep me above the single digit mpg's.
I would go with:
M5OD-R2 and BW-4406 manual shift T-case (97+ 4.2l f150)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals