• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New Bronco 2 owner needs help

jgill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Issue

I just picked up a 86 bronco II xlt V-6 2.9,4wd,5-speed.Has 44,000 original miles on it bought it from an old lady for 800 bucks.I live out in Moab,Ut I want to make this a trail truck for site seeing around the area.So here are the issues I have so far with the truck.*

1.Grinding popping noise during take off or acceleration,sound like it coming from the back or center of vehicle??

2.4wd will engage with button but will not disengage,unless you disconnect the battery wait awhile then hit the button??

3.Door lock work fine with button in cab,but will not unlock with key,barley turns then comes to a dead stop.

4.Fuel gauge only reads E or F....sending unit??

5.when putting the window up it falls forward...is there plastic rollers to guide it up??

Any help with issues would be grate new to the bronco II world...one last question what is the widest tire and wheel combo for stock height.I want wider tires to help stabilize the truck and reduce roll over risk!! **

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Good looking vehicle.

1) Hard to say without hearing it in person.

2) Probably the module. Find a manual transfer case. Barring that, I am manual swapping my 88. I'll rip the module out and sell it to you cheap, but my low range doesn't work, not sure if it's the button or the module.

3) Probably worn out key or lock cylinder. Are your keys worn out really badly?

4) Probably the sending unit. Search around for posts about putting a patch plate in for ease of access to the pump.

5) Nope, no rollers. That is a common problem with the dog ear window setups. Aside from ditching them for full windows I don't know what the fix is. If I had to guess, I'd say the regulator, but I'm not sure of that.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What a beautiful "survivor"!

You got a great deal on that truck.

Window: sounds like you need a new regulator (requires drilling out a rivet and replacing the regulator, and the rivet becomes a bolt/nut).

Door lock is probably a bad lock actuator, 4wd shift is probably a bad shift motor (or clean it using the procedure in the Tech Library Tab at the top of the page). The popping might be a stretched transfer case chain. Shop around, transfer cases are everywhere for these trucks.

Welcome to The Ranger Station!

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
nice lookin b2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
mazda
Engine Size
2.9 for now
Transmission
Manual
popping noise is probabaly the driveshaft especially if it is the tulip style(cv joint) they suck really bad...

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Door lock is probably a bad lock actuator
Can't be. He said it works fine with the button, it's the key that gives him problems.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like it needs alot of work I`ll give you $500 cash. Just kidding give it a good once over clean all the elect connectors and use some dielectric grease when you put them together. LMC truck has all the parts new you need for the doors windows they are not too hard to take apart. You may be able to find the parts at the bone yard figure out what tools you need by taking it apart first then you know exactly what you need as far as tools and parts.

jgill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for tips and comments on the b2..sounds like I have my work cut out for me next set of days off.Yea the keys are original ,also found under the flag tire cover was hideing the orginal bronco 2 cover!!

I almost don't want to do anything to it and just keep it all original..?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Looks like good wheels and tires stock will work just fine. Block the front tires and put it in neutral and then get under it and wiggle the shafts if you see/feel any movement other than gear lash in the rear you will need to drop the shaft and replace whatever is bad. I allways replace all the u-joints while I have it apart they are not that expensive. I would change all the fluids and gear oil look for metal shavings. A little preventive maint goes A long way give it a good once over now. I like to get my manuals at the bone yard for $10 if they have one.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My 86 doesn't have a wind wing must have changed mid year.I would try squirting some oil in the lock with a little straw on a good lubricant.Then try working it some more.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Bronco II

Fuel gauge problem is a bad ground, these have bad grounds all over, the advice about dielectric grease is good too.

Your truck looks like my twin except yours is in better shape... have fun with it, they are pretty capable as stock.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
1. welcome
2. YOU POSTED PICS! GOOD JOB!

ok... i'm gonna say

1. driveshaft. swap out the cv joint one for a u-joint one
2. listen to adsm08. he knows his stuff.

CraigK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Waaay too many problems with this vehicle.
Get rid of it - sell it to me!

2. Probably shifter motor (clean or replace), but if that doesn't work, perform the module diagnosis from Tech section on this site (excellent article). If bad module, they are available cheap $10-$25. (already posted)

3. Have you tried LOTS of penetrating oil? Squirt (spray can with tube) right into the lock keyhole - then work key - this often loosens mine up. (darn - already posted)

Wheels/tires: I have 235/75s (not 235/70's as in original post) on the same rims you have, and can't go bigger without modification.

CraigK

Last edited:

lost86broncoii

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
1.Grinding popping noise during take off or acceleration,sound like it coming from the back or center of vehicle??

Gotta go with "whatelseisleft" said, driveshaft.

I had the same thing going on with my 86's, twice I have owned two lol. Both had CV style driveshaft's and both made grinding popping noises during take off and accel even in reverse some times, the fist time it broke quick, just spins and grinds but doesn't go anywhere, second time(with my current bronco) it took like 2 and a half months before it finally went and I thought it was my rear end, till it finally locked up in an intersection kept stalling the truck out till i rev'd it up and dropped it into gear it snapped that locked up CV joint like a twig but sounded like a gunshot lol. Moral of the story if you got a CV rear, get a u-joint or double u-joint style driveshaft, broke or not right now its going to be one day those CV's are time bombs.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4Cyl, 2.9 EFI V6
Transmission
Manual
Hey Nice BII it matches mine!
2. I had this issue with the shift motor, replaced it with "the shiftster" it just replaces the electronic motor with a cog that you can use to select the range.
3. Penetrating oil! (also had the same issue.)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals