• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Handheld CB

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The range is quite a bit less than a CB with a vehicle mounted antenna... You'd be lucky to get a couple miles flat ground transmit range out of that, if you're in a large hilly area, you may be better off with a compact CB such as the Cobra 75, that can be mounted in the vehicle but it is very compact and that with a small fiberglass antenna would be better than a handheld.

http://www.rightchannelradios.com/cobra-cb-radios-66/cobra-75-wx-st-compact-cb-radio-204.html

Be sure to look at all the pictures.

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
What if you use an antenna with a handheld cb? I kinda like that one in the link above though.

5spd Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
In my teen years I got a hand held CB for my birthday and I used it a lot but it did not have the distance like ones with a mounted antenna, so I went out and bought a little magnet mount one and it did get better signal but not as good as truck mounted CB. If you already have the hand held CB get a good magnet mount antenna for you should be good to go.

Last edited:

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
What if you use an antenna with a handheld cb? I kinda like that one in the link above though.
i have a handheld and it won't communicate clearly enough to be heard while in the truck. i have to attach the magnetic antenna to the roof to be able to transmit and receive.... even then the range is only good when you have a line of sight on the other person.

should work fine for trail runs.

another thing is that it picks up A LOT of interference from the trucks fuel pump and any kind of motors so i've found i have to turn the squelch up so high i can't even use it

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
My experience out on the trail says you'll be lucky to get 1000 feet range between a handheld CB used inside the truck and someone with a truck-mounted radio (the range will be far shorter if between two handhelds inside two vehicles).

Standard handheld CBs suck because of the fairly low frequency band they're on (27MHz). It's tough to take an antenna that would otherwise have an ideal resonant length of almost nine feet and condense it into a little 10" radio-mounted rubber duck (trying to put it in layman's terms anyway).

The little FRS CB walkie talkies that come two to a pack at Walmart might yield better results from within a vehicle even in spite of their lower power (they operate on the much shorter wavelength 462MHz band, which allows a shorter antenna to work more effectively). They still won't go as far as a standard CB with an exterior antenna however.

Last edited:

badmts

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
we went with FRS as we had so many issues with cb we hated it.hand held and veh mount . we troll craigs list and buy all we can that go 3 for 15 bucks ,so when we have friends and guests in the woods EVERYBODY has COMMO . we got 1 for a buck one time,if one of the kids loses it or drops in water oh well

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals