• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

84 duraspark conversion

mcyellboat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
hey i have a 84 ranger that i am in the middle of doing the duraspark conversion. i have already bought everything i need but i am just making sure that i get the right carburetor. will any motorcraft 2100 or 2150 work as long as it has 1.08 venturi and 49 jets

thanks mike

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
yes either of those should work fine, as long as they're the non-feedback versions.

mcyellboat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
thanks for your help i will buy it today and when it gets here i will do the conversion. right now i get about 16 miles to the gallon, im hoping to improve that. i will post the results

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
thanks for your help i will buy it today and when it gets here i will do the conversion. right now i get about 16 miles to the gallon, im hoping to improve that. i will post the results
Wow you are doing alot better than i was. I was only getting 11mpg city in my 85 B2. Good luck with the conversion.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I was getting 17 mpg with my Duraspark on my '84. Don't expect a big change at all. I went to a carefully built 302 and do just as well.

briankmizell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
I realize I am reviving an old thread... but I have a question about my 2.2L Mazda B2200

I have the Autolite 2100 carb with 1.01 venturi, and #46 jets. I have welded an adapter plate to the intake to fit the autolite 2100 to the B2200 intake, I will be using a proform 9" round breather.

My truck has the stock cam, 8mm wires, and a factory coil from an EFI B2200, and a pacesetter header. The head and intake have been port matched using a felpro gasket on the intake and exhaust sides.

I used an online tool to calculate the flow, if I have entered the correct data, the engine should flow between 200 to 210 CFM.

I see that you guys are leaning towards the 1.08 venturi and 49 jets for he 2.3L.

Will the carb that I have.... be a good match for the 2.2L... and should I change the jet sizes?

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I realize I am reviving an old thread... but I have a question about my 2.2L Mazda B2200

I have the Autolite 2100 carb with 1.01 venturi, and #46 jets. I have welded an adapter plate to the intake to fit the autolite 2100 to the B2200 intake, I will be using a proform 9" round breather.

My truck has the stock cam, 8mm wires, and a factory coil from an EFI B2200, and a pacesetter header. The head and intake have been port matched using a felpro gasket on the intake and exhaust sides.

I used an online tool to calculate the flow, if I have entered the correct data, the engine should flow between 200 to 210 CFM.

I see that you guys are leaning towards the 1.08 venturi and 49 jets for he 2.3L.

Will the carb that I have.... be a good match for the 2.2L... and should I change the jet sizes?
His truck would have a 2.8 v6 not a I4. So the 1.08 venturi might be a bit much for you 2.2l. Don't hold me to it tho.

briankmizell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
I've got the 1.01venturi.... next to the smalled that motorcraft & autolite made.

Just wanted to know if any one has an idea of what jets I should use.

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I've got the 1.01venturi.... next to the smalled that motorcraft & autolite made.

Just wanted to know if any one has an idea of what jets I should use.
Sorry about that, completely misread your post.

briankmizell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
no problem twister, if you have any advice or know of someone here than has some expertice with the 2100 on a 2.3L..... please let me know.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
The 1.01 venturi might be a bit much for the 2.2-2.3 there might not be enough flow to atomize the fuel proper it will puddle when it hits the intake on the bottom. When you put your foot down and the engine loses vacuum the power valve will open up dumping more fuel than the engine can burn that washes down into the crankcase reducing lubrication to the cyls and rings. A guy on here is running #44 jets in his 2.8 with no problems maybe go down to 42s or 40s and see if you can dial it in. Sniff your dipstick reg for fuel. If you search around you can probably find a smaller venturi 2100 or 2150 if you have problems with too much fuel.

briankmizell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
The 0.98 is the smallest venturi that motorcraft/autolite produced in the two barrel carburetors.

Here are the venturi sizes available:

Autolite 2100 Sizes and Applications

.98 Venturi(190 CFM): 221 Windsor

1.01 Venturi(240 CFM): 260 Windsor

1.02 Venturi(245 CFM): 289 Windsor, 272, 292 Y Block

1.08 Venturi(287 CFM): 289 Windsor, 302 Windsor

1.14 Venturi(300 CFM): 289 Windsor, 312 Y Block, 332, 352 FE

1.21 Venturi(351 CFM): 351 Windsor

1.23 Venturi(356 CFM): 352 FE, 390 FE

1.33 Venturi(424 CFM): 390 FE

My motor is 2208cc, at 75% Volumetric efficiency.... the user % VE is 166.671 CFM. This will mean that the 1.01 venturi carb is about 80CFM too large.

I've been told that the CFM of the carb doesnt really matter, because you can regulate how much it flows by how much you put your foot into it.

Is this really true?

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
When you have a venturi that might be too large, you have to go up in jet size. It was explained partially correct above. But no completely. When enough air is not present to cause the needed vacuum to allow the fuel to come out of the nozzle, you run lean. That's why a carb that is too large causes a lean cruising situation, not rich as 99.9% of the people believe. Too big of a difference and it will never work. But if its just a bit too large, richening the jets may allow enough fuel to be drawn out to satisfy the engine needs. Still not optimum, but it could work.But my main point here it to try and clear up a fundamental problem with the function of and how a carburetor works on an engine, especially when the venturi is too large and the vacuum signal is very low.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
When you have a venturi that might be too large, you have to go up in jet size. It was explained partially correct above. But no completely. When enough air is not present to cause the needed vacuum to allow the fuel to come out of the nozzle, you run lean. That's why a carb that is too large causes a lean cruising situation, not rich as 99.9% of the people believe. Too big of a difference and it will never work. But if its just a bit too large, richening the jets may allow enough fuel to be drawn out to satisfy the engine needs. Still not optimum, but it could work.But my main point here it to try and clear up a fundamental problem with the function of and how a carburetor works on an engine, especially when the venturi is too large and the vacuum signal is very low.
I never heard it like that but it makes sense just a matter of trial and error probably the best way to tell is with a sniffer on a rack.

John Smith

Reaction score
say's the guy w the 44's

good morning everyone..actually i think I could go down to 42's or 43's from these 44s, something I will try when i get my diz dialed in a little closer..but for a 2.2L..If you could find a drop in carb adapter for a Weber or mid 70's Ford/Holley/5200?...how well your 1.01 will run might depend on what RPM range?...so as the guys have said enuf airflow to atomize..One thing I have done is to streamline.. fill and polish my intake upper to help with flow...and it performs very well even needing stem seals...

have a good day all

hang onto your 1.01...

I DO have a set of .038's that Ford used at higher elevations on 260's...they are listed for that 1.01..I assume it's a pre-64" or there-abouts that allow you the use the now standard 1/4"x32 thread current Holley?..

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals