• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Speed and tire size and speedometer gear ratios questions

BabyBronco89

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
so first question is what size tires did the bronco II Have when it rolled off the production line?

i know mine has bigger than stock tires but not by much ill look tom

anyways well driving behind my brother on the highway, he has a 04 mazda 6 stationwagon, i was talking to him on the phone trying to calcuate my speed
at apox 70 mph it says 65mph on my gauge and at 73-74mph it was 80mph on my gauge and by the time it reached 90(my guage only goes to 85)
my brother informed me we were going 105!!!!!! lol that 4.0 will really move a b2 and it was still gaining speed lol

so basically my gear in the trans case needs to be adjusted acordingly
i want to get a nice set of 30's with my tax money what size gear would i need with these tires?

whats the formula to figure this out?

i have 3.73 gears in the 7.5 rear, (no front because the uvjoints are shot)
but i have a 91 explorer lined up for 200$ with a unkown mileage of 100 0r 200 thou on her and i do not know what size gears are in that.
but it has a working five speed man trans and 4x4 so hopefully i can put the d35 up front to replace the shot d28 and also replace my rear.

so which of the transfer cases is more desirable the ex or b2 both are electric are they the same?

does rear end ratio and tire size both affect speedo gearing?

thanks for the help!

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
There are some formulas, but its easier than that with the info you have. Its completely linear. In other words, if you increase the tire height by 10%, your speedometer will be off by 10%. It also means a change of speedometer gear teeth of 10% will put it back correct.Figuring tire height is easy, but do you know how?? If not, you can just measure the height. What size do you now have? Your numbers don't make sense as you wrote it. You have your speedo being behind in speed once and ahead at another speed. Thats impossible. The % it is off stays the same, there is nothing variable here, its not a curve either, its linear math. If you give me accurate info, I can tell you an exact answer.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals