• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Egr switch

nlarr81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ok guys....99 3.0 4x4 found broken ex man studs on driver side.....got them replaced and back on but I broke the egr tube....i called a ford tech...who told me to remove the valve and plug both holes....as i'm not in cally and the egr doesnt do anything for me...........so I did but the engine light is on.....is their a switch or is it in the computer? if its in the computer where can I rent a handheld to shut it off........i know its not advisable to remove egr system...i'm not looking for reasions why I should leave it...........i just want my light off.........i'm sure their is a few guys around with a light on for the same reasion.............thanks

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
the egr doesnt do anything for me
That is axiomatically wrong. Just because you aren't in Commifornia doesn't mean the EGR doesn't do anything.

............is their a switch or is it in the computer?

Huh? There is a vacuum control solenoid that the computer uses to open and close the valve. I think that is what you are asking.

if its in the computer where can I rent a handheld to shut it off
And that is just a stupid question.

The light is on because the computer is not seeing something it expects to see. You can clear the code as many times as you want, it WILL come back eventually unless you fix the system properly.

nlarr81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
"That is axiomatically wrong. Just because you aren't in Commifornia doesn't mean the EGR doesn't do anything."
please tell me what it does for my truck?
since posting i talked to my fatherin law (25 year ford teck) who tellls me if i can find the right handheld tuner i can shut off the egr system in the computer....i agree it is a stupid ? ..but i cant find one with out buying it

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals