• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

93 Ranger 4.0 Check engine light, only 111 code

dusto2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So to start off check engine light came on about 2 weeks ago, code was for the dpfe sensor, and that was the only code, test function of the egr first and it was working correctly. So I installed a dpfe sensor, cleared the code, test drove the truck and the check engine light came on right away. Test again KOEO got code 111 no faults, KOER got code 111 as well, yet the light still stays on, I have driven it maybe 50 miles after the dpfe replacement and tried pulling codes maybe 4 or 5 times now and still get the say 111, except 1 time I did it when it was cold and got 116 for ect out of range, then warmed up the truck and got 111 again both on KOEO and KOER. Any thoughts on this please

dusto2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Update ran again after a short trip after reading about memory codes coming after and got a 214 for cid, gonna look into that

Diesel Mechanic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Maybe the ecm is stuck on this code. I've seen it before from various manufactures. Try setting a simple code like unplugging a temp sensor. Key on, let it register the code. Plug it back in. Clear the codes. Key off. Unplug ecm for an hour or two (preferred is over night). Plug the ecm back in and go go for a cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dusto2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok cool gonna try that tonight after work

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Should only need a minute or two to clear KAM(keep alive memory)

Just unhook both battery cables and touch them together, that will drain all capacitors used to hold memory, then reconnect cables

Radio presets and clock time will also be lost
Engine will idle oddly until computer relearns IAC and throttle position settings

214 in a Calif Ranger would most likely be Cam Position sensor(CPS).
Crank position(CKP) sensor is a maybe because a problem with these usually causes a no start, but worth a look at the crank pulley to make sure no mud or debris is stuck between the "teeth" the CKP sensor needs to read.

Last edited:

dusto2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well finally had time to look at the truck and found that the connector going to the cam position sensor is broken at the sensor itself, looks like I will be ordering and putting in the sensor this weekend. I am honestly surprised it is running with the sensor like that.

dusto2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Finally put the new cam sensor in, took me a try or 2 to drop it in correctly, spun on me once, but got it synced and it is running great now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals