• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Power in topper when truck is off

kevinbmx77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not 100% sure this goes here but i think it does.
(not my vehicle) my question is, what is the cheapest way to have power for a small light, charge a phone, and some type of 12v fan to cool down the inside when its hot while the truck is off. Im trying to make a little space to live in for a trip ill be making across the country. So far i picked up a topper for $50. Its aluminum. Probably not the best for what im doing but it was what i could afford atm. I plastidipped the windows black so no one can see in and it will be removable if i ever need to remove it

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Looks like a nice setup

Best bet would be a smaller size 12volt deep cycle battery and an isolator

Some can be seen here: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/agm-battery-deep-cycle

The battery would be placed in engine bay and recharged via alternator thru an isolator
Isolator separates vehicles battery from smaller battery so running lights, radio, fan, ect.....won't drain starter motor battery so no worries about falling asleep with lights on, lol.

Deep Cycle batteries have thicker plates and are made to be drained down to 0 and then recharged, car batteries don't like that.

Just do a calculation on how many AMP Hours(AH) each device in the back might use
25watt light running on 12volts will use 2amps each hour
2amps x 5 hours = 10amp hours, so if you ran the light 5 hours you would use 10AH
If a battery was rated as 20AH then it would run that light for 10 hours without recharging
LED light use less amps so should be considered

If you only have the wattage of a device then divide watts by voltage to get amps
25watt/12volt = 2 amps

Cell phone charging is usually 1 amp steady but it drops to .1amps when phone is fully charged

12volt fans need to be looked at closely
Endless breeze fan draws about 3amps/hour
Schumacher 121 12V Oscillating Fan under 2amps/hour

And you can start with 20AH battery and then add another 20AH for 40AH, they can be used side by side.

The larger the wire you use from engine bay to bed the better, smaller wires heat up with AMPs and heat is a loss of AMPs, so the larger the wire the better.
And EVERYTHING gets a fuse
Fuse at the battery
Then fuse on and for each plug in or device in the bed

Last edited:

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
Yep, what RonD said! Also, great idea using plasti-dip on those windows. I never would have thought of that but I think I would have used white to help beat the heat absorption.

kevinbmx77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thank you for always having great advice and help RonD. I was thinking I'd need a cheap solar panel but tge isolator seems like a much more effective way of doing it. How long do you estimate id have to run the truck to recharge the small battery?
Also topper is now on. Bedlinered it. Maybe a mistake because of how hot it will get. Hopefully not too bad, i really shouldnt be in there till night.

Last edited:

kevinbmx77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just found tge section where i should have posted this ?? its not too far off here i hope.

kevinbmx77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yep, what RonD said! Also, great idea using plasti-dip on those windows. I never would have thought of that but I think I would have used white to help beat the heat absorption.
Black may have been a mistake especially since i bedlinered the whole topper ? not too smart on my part but i went for looks. I left to top untouched though instead of black

kevinbmx77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Also how many amps does the isolator need to be? Im not too sure how it works because i was lookijg into it a long time ago and couldn't figure it out and didnt have the motivation at the time but now i need to ?

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
They make some really nice solar roof vent fans for RVs that may be a nice addition if heat is a problem.

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
I don't have much to add in regards to power sources, but I do have something to add in terms of power routing:

I ran some 16 gauge extension cord along my frame rail and by the tailight to power my LED light system in my camper shell. It was powered off a secondary fuse box under the hood which went directly to battery positive and chassis ground. That said, if you have the factory (or other crimped) battery connectors still, I'd tie in to the power feed at the starter relay instead.

Yes, a little bit redneck, but at the end of the day it's just 16 gauge three conductor cable with a protective jacket. chop the plugs and be done. Need more power? Go for 14 or 12 gauge...

I'd have pics but right now the setup is coiled up while I'm in the slow process of moving stuff from one ranger (wrecked) to another (replaecment).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals