• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best Water Pump????

helpme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I need to change my water pump again. The current one is not leaking but has noisy bearings. Its not quite 2 years old. I think the guy put a Chinese one in the last time. NAPA sells the Gates brand which I don't think is Chinese. Anybody have a better suggestion? Thanks.

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
When I changed mine, last Fall, I used a Bosch unit. I got it from Rock Auto. I can't guarantee that it will last any longer than anything else but I do know that most water pumps fail because of an un-balanced fan being attached to them. If you want your WP to last a while, consider an electric fan conversion.

helpme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks. I can see a grease stain around the shaft. It only started rattling since it got cold.
I check the shaft play every day till I can get it fixed. And I'm only making short trips.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
The Napa pumps are also made in China. I had one that lasted a few weeks before leaking out the weep hole. I replaced it with a Motorcraft from Rockauto. It cost about 5 times more, but it was worth it to not have to replace it again.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'll give a :icon_thumby: to RockAuto. They usually give you a number of parts choices with different prices. Service is great and prices good.

I believe a lot of Motorcraft parts are made in Mexico. Not necessarily a drawback (except for American workers) depending on the quality control and design parameters set by Motorcraft/Ford

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just get the one with the lifetime warranty.

When I put my 302 in my Ranger I got a rebuilt one from Carquest, it leaked within 2 weeks. Took it out and transferred its value to a new one because it was a PITA to change and I didn't want to do it again. Haven't had to do a thing to it since in the past 2 years. If it does, I go down town and return it for another new one rather than dealing with someone on the internet.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
rather than dealing with someone on the internet.
My long time experience with RockAuto is they are not just, "someone on the internet". Defective parts can be returned easily and they send prepaid shipping label. Service has always been great.

However you will wait longer of course than dealing with higher priced local brick & mortar due to shipping time.

helpme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think Carquest is Chinese along with all the other parts that Advance sells. I was suspicious about the Gates unit at NAPA since it was roughly ($35) the same price as the Advance one.
Do you think the ones sold at the Ford dealership are made in China?

bIIjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I work at Napa and can tell you it isn't chinese. You get what you pay for I'm learning this very fast. Napa is in a price war right now with the box stores aka Advance and auto zone. We have the corner on garages. We are after retail trying to hurt the business of the other stores. I have spent a lot of time in training this week and can tell you they take offering better parts seriously.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Over the years I have viewed NAPA as selling better quality. The problem is they brand everything as "NAPA" so you don't know who makes the parts. I don't think NAPA specs parts to be made to it's own quality??

I have also found that the higher priced part is the same as the lower price except you're paying more for a longer warranty.

The parts business is very confusing and you really have no idea who makes what/where. Many parts manufacturers own a number of brands that may have no difference except for name.

Don't forget in the retail trade there is something called, "Price Point". That is charging a higher price because buyers think the higher price is the better quality and holds more esteem, but really it's just a higher price.

bIIjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
This is true how ever I can tell you for a fact our water pumps are gates our seals bearings and hub units is skf who makes said items for ford oem. We do carry a line of import made parts but that's is what they are made for import cars. Shocks are monroe which I can't stand but that's beside the point

bIIjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you wanna see a difference look at a skf hub unit and compare it to another stores huge difference. Not trying to start a pissing match I worked in the shops as well as advance a few years ago and now napa all I'm saying is big difference. Do we have defects yup they all do but over all you get what you pay for

helpme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks all!
I'm going to go with the Gates from NAPA. Never had any trouble with NAPA in the past.
And yeah, I know you get what you pay for.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals