• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Starting issue 83

koppenhaver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
okay so i recently purchased a 83 ranger with a 2.8 and auto trans, when i first went and checked the truck out it would turn over and crank and almost start. then i towed it to my house and now i have no spark i believe, it doesnt even wana turn over at all when i hit the key. i know the battery is good and i replaced the solenoid, had the starter tested. im guessing something in the ignition?? any ideas? i check all the wires and fuses.

drsvox

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Did you replace the solenoid before or after the no crank? My first thought is to just double check that battery is def good, connections are tight, and solenoid is wired correctly...esp the NSS wire.

koppenhaver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
after the no crank, i swapped solenoids. im not sure what the NSS wire is. i wired the same as the one i pulled out of it. and the connections are brand new.

koppenhaver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
okay swapped a new battery in her and she fires just doesnt stay running, so next step would be fuel gunna check the fuel lines maybe drop the tank and put fresh gas. any other suggestions.

drsvox

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Yes...find the 2150 carb rebuild sheet in the tech area (great info there) and invest in the $30 or so (can't remember zactly how much) for a rebuild kit and do that.

Put in a new fuel filter too...cheap and purchased separately from carb kit.

Last edited:

drsvox

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
P.S. the NSS wire is the Neutral Safety Switch (blue/red) wire off the trans body to the solenoid...allows for start only in P or N on an auto.

koppenhaver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Copy yeah i can get it started by putting gas in the carb but it doesnt last long, doesnt seem to be getting any fuel. i have a new fuel filter on. maybe a bad sending unit or fuel pump??

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Disconnect the fuel line at the carb and put it into a jar then crank on the motor. You should get good flow into the jar? Look for water in the bottom of the jar? If you get good flow pull the fuel filter off the carb and see if it is plugged? It has a mechanical pump that is a bitch to get at.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
When you pump on the throttle does fuel squirt out the accelerator pump nozzles. It could be it slugged some water into the carb. Crank on the motor until you get good fuel out of the fuel pump. Then just keep priming the carb with fuel until the float bowl fills with good fuel and it runs on its own?

koppenhaver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
okay so when pulling the throttle, im not seeing any gas coming out of the fuel line i have running to a glass. could that be a bad fuel line or pump?

Last edited:

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
okay so when pulling the throttle, im not seeing any gas coming out of the fuel line i have running to a glass. could that be a bad fuel line or pump?
Lets start over.
1. When you put fuel in the carb, does it start and run for a bit and then die? If yes, then you have a fuel delivery problem.

2, When you disconnect the fuel line to the carb and crank the engine, do you get fuel out of the fuel line?? If yes, the fuel pump is working. If not, bad pump.

3.With the air cleaner removed and looking down into the carb, when you cycle the throttle, do you see fuel being squirted into the carb?? You should, if not it carb is either empty (no fuel in the bowl, see #2) or needs rebuilding, i.e. stuck float/needle/seat that will not let fuel into the carb or something else wrong with the carb (plugged carb screen/filter) that is keeping fuel from getting into the cylinders??

Last edited:

koppenhaver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
yes when i put fuel in carb it starts and dies, also i i disconnected the fuel line and no fuel is coming out of it. so its a bad pump? is that pump in the tank or what? sorry for the noob question first time i had to deal with anything fuel related.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Are you sure there is gas in the tank? That the fuel line to the tank is in good shape?? A crack or hole in the fuel line can cause it to suck air instead of fuel. A plugged fuel line filter (between carb and tank) will also cause a no fuel condition.

It is set up something (maybe not exactly) like this: fuel tank, with fuel, to fuel line to fuel pump, to fuel filter to fuel line to carb.

You can test all that with a vacuum pump like this one: http://www.harborfreight.com/mityvac-vacuum-pump-39522.html You just connect it to the fuel line and pump. But, the most common cause is a bad fuel pump; however, it is kind of hard to troubleshoot old vehicles by long distance.

And, RockAuto shows a mechanical pump that uses a push rod. Probably need a manual to show you how to R and R it if you have never done it before.

Last edited:

koppenhaver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
yeah im sure there is fuel put 4 gallons in it, and i didnt see and leaks when i traced the fuel line. but yeah that is the set up i mean i can double check all that when i get off work tomorrow.

Now would that be something in a Hayes manual?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
The fuel pump is on the drivers side of the motor under the power steering pump mount. The easiest way to replace it is to remove the bolts for power steering mount and pump and push it forward. Use a hydraulic fitting wrench when loosening the fuel line fittings as they are easy to deform with a open end wrench. From the pump to the carb is a pressure line make damn sure they are tight and not leaking. Put some permatex on both sides of the new fuel pump gasket.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals