• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2wd BII transmission

Mr. Tarkanian

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Hi all, I am wanting to tackle the 5 speed swap soon, and I found a 2nd gen bronco II in the bone yard the other day. It's a 2 wheel drive, with 5 speed. I know that it will have the dummy t case, does that mean that the trans tailshaft will bolt directly to my t case? I assume it is the FM146 but I didn't get a good look at it. Is there a remote possibility it is the M5od? I'd rather wait out for the mazda trans but am having trouble locating one.

Thanks in advance.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
If it has the dummy case, it's a 4WD version and will bolt up to a real case as well.

M5ODs are very rare at best in BIIs. I've only seen 4WD M5ODs behind 2.9L engines in some 1990 Supercab Rangers, to either side of that year I've only seen FM146s. This isn't to say they never made it into any BIIs, but I've yet to stumble onto one myself.

4.0L M5ODs will fit yours also but have slightly taller 1st, 2nd, & 3rd gear ratios.

Mr. Tarkanian

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Gotcha, thanks a bunch for the help.

Would I be an idiot for swapping in an FM146, rather than waiting for the M5od?

I'm planning to run 4.88's and 31 inch tires. Mostly for street use with VERY mild trails.

As a side note, I pulled my auto brake pedal and cluster shift indicator out this weekend. Swap is officially started :icon_thumby:

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
M5OD's were found in B2's built after 11/89.
I have one in my B2.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Ok, cool. That's the same starting date for the SC Ranger I mentioned.

A FM146 would probably hold up fine if you overfill it by about a half-quart (put almost 3 whole quarts in). It seems they suffer from fluid starvation in addition to the inferior ball-bearing design they use, which just exacerbates the problem. Just keep in mind if you ever decide to do a 4.0L V6 swap though (say your 2.9 someday decides it's day has come), then you'll be back in the same boat needing to swap your trans again.

Mr. Tarkanian

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Roger that. To be honest, I'm one of the few that is actually quite happy with my 2.9, it's not a powerhouse but I like the fuel mileage and simplicity. And I figure swapping the trans will actually be the easy part, it's the pedals, hydraulic plumbing and wiring that I dread. That's not to say I wont be going to an M5od in the future anyway, but I figure this FM146 is pretty cheap and my A4LD is on the way out, so why not?

As soon as this brutal KY winter subsides I'll be hitting the scrap yards. When I have the trans in my shop I'll be starting threads about servicing it before installation.

Any other advice or input would be appreciated. Thanks all.

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Go with the FM then. If you get a 4.0L in the future, maybe you can get it along with the trans that it was paired to.
The FM trans also has a bit better shift quality to it than the M5OD (it's a little more car-like vs more truck-like).

I've been satisfied with my 2.9's performance. Like you say, it's no monster, but it seems to keep up with traffic on grades no problem if you downshift and let it wind up a bit. Many of those that complain about them often don't have deep enough axle gears for their tires, the 2.9L needs a fair bit of RPM to do it's work.

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
Transmission
Automatic
You may find an M5OD in a 2wd '90, but you might actually get a 2wd trans too... This was factory in Brian's 2wd '90 that he had:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals