• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Putting A Tach in a 94 Ranger

Tractor Dan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Have a 94 with a 3.0 in it. It's manual transmission. No tach on the dashboard, came stock without one. Not sure if there is a reason for that. Guy i got it from worked for Ford and bought it new in 94 so maybe he got it without any extra bells and whistles. All i know is i want a tachometer. I can drive the truck just fine without one but like to have it to reference at times. Just like i like gauges that tell you real numbers, not just is it within range.

So how would i go about putting a tachometer on this? I'm thinking aftermarket would be a bit easier then finding a gauge cluster from a yard with a tach and swapping it in. Unless a dash cluster swap is fairly easy? I have never had a 94 dash opened up. I opened my 97 up and that wasn't too bad. I would assume it should be a straight forward install being it has a distributor.

If i would go aftermarket what would be a good brand? I'm figuring on mounting it in the drivers side pillar. Keeps it out of the way but visible. Trying to see if i can get the details figured out on this to see if i can convince my electrical instructor to let me bring my truck in to install it at college.

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
The speedometer cable is pain to get off the cluster on those, otherwise its not too hard. I think it's also plug and play if I'm not mistaken, if you get a cluster with a tach.

Sent from my PACman'd GS²

Tractor Dan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info. Looks like i'm going after market. Seems like it would be easier and more cost effective. Isn't a bad thing though because i eventually want to put in a few other gauges. I know the dash stuff works but i want to see in numbers what the engine and transmission is actually doing.

myold96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
somewhere i was told if you have a 96 2.3 without a tach it wasn't plug and play you had to run an extra wire is that true?

tinman_72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Factory
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
255/60R15
My credo
RoHS compliant
You can use the cluster from a 93-94. V6 or I4 doesn't matter. Just plug it in and go. I have a cluster from a 94 4.0 in my 93 2.3. Works great. :icon_thumby:

tinman_72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Factory
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
255/60R15
My credo
RoHS compliant
You can also easily pull the speedometer out and put yours into it to keep the milage correct.

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Easier? You can swap the factor tach in about 15 minutes.

Can even keep your ODO from the old cluster and put it in the new. Just have to get a cluster from a 93-94 ranger or explorer.

tinman_72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Factory
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
255/60R15
My credo
RoHS compliant
Easier? You can swap the factor tach in about 15 minutes.

Can even keep your ODO from the old cluster and put it in the new. Just have to get a cluster from a 93-94 ranger or explorer.
Isn't that what I said?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals