• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger LS-Swap Build

LSX_Marshall

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Would be definitely excited to see numbers like that on the first weekend out in this truck. I was thinking probably high 12's maybe even low 13's if it's still spinning at half track. Definitely going to be leaving easy at least until the end of the night. Still haven't found a set of wheels for the back, probably my last item to buy that I know of. I went ahead and ordered the radiator and battery relocation, expected delivery is tuesday or wednesday. Starting to feel the pressure of finishing now that there is only 6 days left to build and I just set the motor in this morning. :shok:

lsxRanger94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
At least you can still run it for a short time and check a few things until the rest of the parts get there.

lsxRanger94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you don't get a set of meats in time, you'll definitely have to pedal it.

lsxRanger94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Are you ready for race day?

LSX_Marshall

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Amazingly I believe so! Finally got everything buttoned up but welding the spider gears together which I plan on doing tomorrow, its running beautifully. Haven't actually got it out on the street yet though I just finished setting the time about 10 o'clock and let it run a while checked for leaks and it should be good to go. Gonna take it out and drive it as much as possible tomorrow. I did get a set of 10.5 slicks for it but all I had to mount them on was a set of old round track wheels that stick out like 3 inches on each side lol. Looks funny but better than street tires i guess. I'll grab a few pictures tomorrow of everything to let you know how it turned out and maybe a running video if my camera can handle all that cam lope! :headbang:

lsxRanger94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Awesome! I wouldn't worry about the tires sticking out. You are going to the dragstrip not a car show. Can't wait to see it.

LSX_Marshall

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Made it to the strip last night, the truck RAN good but due to the lack of traction I never made a good pass. I never got around to welding the rear end and one of the round track wheels was bent too bad to run so I had to go open diff on street tires, not a good combination. The track seemed poorly prepped as well which didn't help. Got to run 4 times. Most of the runs I never could get it to quit spinning even letting completely out on it and easing back in, it would break loose again. On the best run I finally got traction just past the 1/8th mile mark in 3rd gear pedaling but didn't have enough speed and dropped out of the power range so it didn't get back pulling hard again to about 3/4 track. Next pay check goes to traction I guess lol. Do have a video on my buddy's phone of me smoking the tires all the way down the track I'll get up later. It also wanted to overheat in the staging lanes if I had to sit for more than about 10 minutes. Trying a bigger fan tomorrow to see how it acts.

By the way the fastest pass was 16.88 @ 87 MPH lol could have almost caught a stock Ranger with that.

Last edited:

lsxRanger94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
By the way the fastest pass was 16.88 @ 87 MPH lol could have almost caught a stock Ranger with that.

OUCH!:shok:

LSX_Marshall

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah that's what happens I guess when you leave the slicks at home with a big block Ranger lol. Here's a few pictures of the engine setup. I also slapped the new 16" electric fan in front of the radiator after cutting the hood latch support bar out and let it idle for about 30 minutes. No more overheating! Hope to find some new wheels for my slicks this week to see if I can put away some stock Rangers at the track next time! :icon_rofl:

Oops well my phone died trying to email the pictures to myself, later tonight or from work tomorrow, promise! :icon_thumby:

LSX_Marshall

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Here they are as promised. These are pictures from yesterday, I had the fenders, grille and headlights out looking at the idea of removing the inner structure and making a tilt front end. Also had to get that fan in there too.

Attachments

Jfive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If you weld the spider gears, weld them to the differential itself more than to each other. I've seen ones that were welded where the gears touch break and cause major problems, but I had a rear welded with a 500hp stroker and in alot heavier truck hold up for 6 years before I sold it, and they never came apart. Rear was welded with 7018 stick with main focus being the gear to the housing. Just my opinion but I would have stuck with the LS and done efi and checked out EFIsource.com for a simple solution to running an LS efi motor in any vehicle.

ironhead

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Id love to see some pics of your diesel ranger , and the info I'd need to make that happen under my hood. I'm NOT a mechanic , but would have to get ( or pay for ) some help. I've got an '87 4WD I want to throw some money into , and before I pay to have a 302 put in , I'm really interested in the diesel. I just think that would be pretty nasty. That being said , what type of engine , tranny , transfer case and front& rear ends would I be looking for , or would some of the stock parts hold up ?

lsxRanger94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Here they are as promised. These are pictures from yesterday, I had the fenders, grille and headlights out looking at the idea of removing the inner structure and making a tilt front end. Also had to get that fan in there too.
Shouldn't be too hard to make a tilt front end. You will also be able to move the rad forward and move the fan to puller position. Just make sure your cab mounts are still in good shape.:icon_thumby:

lsxRanger94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Any updates?

R.W.Dale

Reaction score
Having recently wrapped up a LS swap in a fox mustang (carbed and cammed aluminum 5.3) I fully support this thread.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals