• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 2.3 surging idle

Farmerrye

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey I bought a lil ranger today. Is runs okay for a four banger. the engine idles Ina rhythmic fashion. The distributor housing is loose and I can adjust the idle speed with turning it. I set it to idle about 800-1000 and it sounds better. How I prevent it from turning loose again?

Also the throttle is pretty stiff where is a good place to lube? The pedal moves about one inch from closed to wot

Repair history is that the TPS was malfuctioning and the EGR wasn't building vacuum, I assume it's been fixed correctly.

The truck also pings at middle rpms, not sure where it's coming from because it only makes noise when I'm driving

Are there any otherthing else I should check knowing that I just bought the truck.
Thanks everyone

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Fuel injected engines use an IAC(idle air control) Valve to control idle speed, it is in essence a controlled vacuum leak.
The computer gets the RPMs from the distributor(or crank sensor) and then opens or closes the IAC Valve to set idle RPMs
Cold engine idle RPMs should be around 1,100
Warm engine idle should be 700(manual), 800(automatic)

If your RPMs are not high cold then IAC Valve may not be working.
It is located on the upper intake by the throttle plate, with engine idling disconnect IAC wires, idle RPMs should drop, or engine may even stall, either is fine, it means IAC Valve is working.
If idle doesn't drop or change then either you have a vacuum leak or IAC valve is not able to open and close, these can be cleaned.

Gary101386

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
correct! i had an issue with mine, i took it off, took it apart and cleaned it... all is fine after...

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
You should set the timing to 10BTDC and then tighten the distributor using the bolt located near the base, under the alternator. The IAC may be remote located by the air box. If you have a dual tube feeding air from the air cleaner to the throttle body, the IAC would be controlling the air fed through the smaller diameter tube. Original EFI models had a 'remote' IAC. Dunno when it changed.
tom

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
This model year also had a MAP sensor that would cause surging, but the loose distributor needs to be addressed first...maybe the bolt aqnd retainer is still there...11/16 wrench will tighten it down...might take a bit of contortionist skills to reach it though...back side of the distributor is where you will find the hold down...

XLTsplash

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Your timing being off can be causing your pinging. If it still pings after you get your timing set , make sure EGR is working because the exhaust gas cools the cylinder temp and maybe enough to stop your pinging.

Last edited:

Farmerrye

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Still can't locate the iac or map or egr I have an 1988 doesn't anyone have the service manual?

The truck has barely any power compared to when I got it a few days ago. The exhaust manifold was glowing red the other night. And the truck send the coolant gauge into high after. 10 min of driving, any thoughts

Thanks

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Glowing Cat means misfiring or over-rich fuel mix, unburned or incomplete burn fuel causes Cat to heat up.

MAP is usually located on the firewall, it is not large, it will have a Vacuum hose attached to it, this hose will come from the intake manifold, so follow hoses to find MAP, it will also have a 3 wire connector.
Make sure vacuum hose is air tight, no cracks.
MAP sensors rarely fail, not never, just rarely.

IAC valve, if not on the intake, will be connected to the intake by a hose, find the throttle plate, then look for a hose that would be just behind the throttle plate, follow that hose to the IAC Valve, it will also have a 2 or 3 wire connector.

Farmerrye

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I found the iac, took it off and sprayed it with carb cleaner, it didn't look too coked up. I put it back on started up the truck and unplugged it with the truck idling, the truck didn't die or change the idle at all.

I potentially found the map hose and disconnected it while idling, no change, I unplugged it, no change either.

Once the truck is warm and restarted the thermostat spikes when I start it up, the. It comes back down to a normal range, is this normal?

I just did an oil change and replaced a leaky upper radiator hose that was warping my belts and causing the, to squeal.

Also I'm wondering about the hold down bolt on the distributor is it a small bolt or where is it? Links to manual?

Any thoughts, thanks in advance

Farmerrye

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
How do I find the egr and test it?

Thanks

Farmerrye

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You should set the timing to 10BTDC and then tighten the distributor using the bolt located near the base, under the alternator. The IAC may be remote located by the air box. If you have a dual tube feeding air from the air cleaner to the throttle body, the IAC would be controlling the air fed through the smaller diameter tube. Original EFI models had a 'remote' IAC. Dunno when it changed.
tom
How do I set the dist.? Where is tdc? Currently the whole distruitor pillar turns and she I turn it it adjusts the idle, I have it idling in a good range, 700 rpm cold and 1000 warm. It still surges?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals