• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transmission wiring question

Lost Bushman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Alright guys, I'm into the wiring phase of the A4LD to FM146. The tech article doesn't exactly specify how the wiring should be done, it just references the two plugs from the A4LD, but not exactly what to do with do them. I know there's splicing that needs to be done, but I don't know exactly what to what.

:icon_confused:

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Should just be connect the neutral switch wires and the backup lights to the connectors used on the FM146 and you'll be good.

Just cover over the other wires and tie them out of the way. You could also remove them back to the next connector for a cleaner look.

Following which wires are which can be frustrating.

Just look at the diagrams for the same year auto and manual.

Lost Bushman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks man!

Sent from my Casio G'zOne Commando 4G, it's the John Connor of Smartphones. You cannot kill it...

Using Tapatalk.

Tallpaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I did this swap just a couple months ago. I wound up going to a local junkyard and pulling the wiring harness and computer from a 5spd 2wd bronco II. I didn't use the whole wiring harness. I just swapped the computer and used the section of the harness that connects to the transmission. It was really simple, just disconnect the auto transmission wires and connect the 5sd end. This wire has ends on it that also connect to a few other things like the low oil sensor and the temperature switch, if I am remembering correctly. I just didn't want to splice any wires and I got the manual computer because I didn't want the engine to idle fast.

Lost Bushman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I've read that the engine has to be re-timed, is this something that can be avoided by running a manual computer?

Sent from my Casio G'zOne Commando 4G, it's the John Connor of Smartphones. You cannot kill it...

Using Tapatalk.

Tallpaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm not much with timing. I had a guy that has a shop down the road from my house time it. I do know that he timed mine 10 degrees before Top Dead Center and mine runs like a top. It cranks as soon as you turn the starter. There are marks on the harmonic balancer though that show you where that 10* mark is. Once you are at the 10* mark the distributor should point to the #1 spark plug wire on the distributor cap.

Lost Bushman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks!

Using Tapatalk.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Why would it need to be re-timed? Unless this is something unrelated to the transmission swap?

I mean timing doesn't depend on the transmission. Or at least it shouldn't.

Lost Bushman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Apparently the automatic was timed different than a manual. It says so in the transmission swap article.

Using Tapatalk.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals