• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Where to hide a key on the outside of the truck?

kingmetal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC V6
Transmission
Automatic
Strongly considering getting something like this: http://www.selectlocks.com/9013245 and mounting it on the truck somewhere. No real shortage of places, but where would you put it on a [2004] Ranger?

Reason: not only could it save my butt if I ever lock my keys in the truck at the local supermarket, more importantly this truck is going to do a lot of camping and I sure don't want to be in a situation where my keys get lost or locked in the truck when I'm in the middle of NOWHERE.

Plus, if I fall off a cliff with my keys in my pocket, if I've got a traveling companion they could potentially drive the truck to the local bar to mourn my death or whatever :beer:

Thoughts in general on this topic? Seems like these boxes would be hard enough to compromise even if you knew it was there.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
I have seen locking gas caps that have a key compartment in them that you can open with a combination. With a 2004 you want it to be weather tight as those keys have a transponder in them.

Or keep an ignition key in the glovebox and a door lock only key in a magnetic box on the inside of the frame somewhere.

AJ

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
I used black heat-shrink and totally shrunk the key in. I then wire tied it to the top of rear leaf spring. Totally sealed and totally hidden.

sblake01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have seen locking gas caps that have a key compartment in them that you can open with a combination. With a 2004 you want it to be weather tight as those keys have a transponder in them.

Or keep an ignition key in the glovebox and a door lock only key in a magnetic box on the inside of the frame somewhere.

AJ

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Isn't the assumption that the key with the transponder would be locked in the truck? If that's the case, you wouldn't need another one in the glovebox nor would you need to worry about the box being weather tight.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That lock box says: "Something important stored here; reach in and grab me" Then take me someplace quiet; hit with BFH and remove what is inside....

I prefer a more subtle solution ala Doofy's. Even if you know where to look, it is well camouflaged.

drsvox

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
The second time I locked myself out I from then on forced myself to do a 5 second check before getting out of the truck: lights , keys, etc...

It takes only 21 days to make or break a habit.

When you're camping, give the spare to your traveling companion.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Put it on top of the spare. Won't fall out.

jackssurvival

Reaction score
I always keep a spare in my wallet and i give my wife a spare no worries about her driving it she cant drive a stick and i prefer it that way she can have her durango

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Oh, a MOPAR with an auto.

:badidea:

Dune Runner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 4.0
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Wrap the keys in a heavy duty freezer zip lock bag. Duct tape them to the fuel filler neck. Wrap the tape completely over them. They will be there when you need them. And for someone just looking at it they will think that you just patched a leaking filler hose.

Or you could just be more careful with your keys. I put a spare door key on my Wife's key ring. She doesn't drive.

alexpmcmurphy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i got one of these http://www.hitchsafe.com/ and keep my key (in a ziploc bag) and a couple of buck in case of emergencies. with the cap on it just looks like any other hitch cover.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
All good ideas...I never thought of most of them...I had mine hidden on my dash in one of those magnetic key holders for years and...that never made it to the inside frame rail as planned...

For some reason nobody bothered to check that out...I even left the doors unlocked and often left the windows open...:annoyed:

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but nobody seems to want to even try to steal my truck...:icon_confused:

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hiding in spare tire would be great idea; if I didn't have to lock the spare tire as it is the most likely item to be ripped off.

oldcrowalki

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My truck bed came with the plastic bed-liner and I added a camper shell that I never lock but have keys for. Plastic liner at front of bed almost obscures the big eyelet tie offs --and that's where I found a thin wire tied to the eyelet with a door key (not transponder) attached--left by the original owner. Made sure it worked and it's still there.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals